tracker

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Potty training day 2

Today was more emotionally trying.   My goal was to have Spike spend all day sitting on the potty seat and rewarding him whenever he put something in it.  He started by wanting to play cars,  this worked ok until he wanted to be more mobile, then he had an accident and didn't want to sit on the potty again.  So I gave him an incentive.   I signed up for a week long free trial on Hulu.  Then I turned on Care Bears, which all of my children were interested in watching.   This made it a little more difficult to get the other kids to school, because they didn't want to miss anything. 

We then pretty much spent the rest of the day watching shows.  This is not one of my favorite past times, and I felt like I was wasting time.
Spike was making progress.  Every time he would urinate he would then stand upnso I could empty the potty,  then he would ask for a sticker.   So I know he was at least recognizing when he would go.
However every time I tried to do something else, things would start to get crazy.  I would sit down to nurse the baby, and Spike would decide he didn't want to sit on the potty.  One time he had to do a bowel movement,  and felt like he didn't want to do it in the potty,  so he got off the potty,  as I was sitting on the couch nursing the baby.  I didn't know what he was doing so I told him to get back on the potty.   He ignored me and headed for the stairs.  Then I noticed, so I took him to the bathroom,  and had him use the toilet.   He only did a little bit then said he was done.

A little bit later I headed up to the kitchen to make lunch, when I came back down to get them I noticed he had gotten off the potty and left presents for me all over the floor.

I am not sure how much he understands,  and if he is really ready for this.  If I put pants on him, he doesn't register any need to go to the potty.  Even if his underwear is soiled or wet, he doesn't seem to mind or communicate that fact.  I don't want to push him if he really isn't ready for this, but I don't want to back out just because I am having a hard time with it.

I struggle with balancing the other kids needs while working with Spike.   I feel like baby got neglected today.  And the other kids just want me to keep putting Spike back on the potty, so they can watch more shows.  And when I try to communicate with Spike about what we need to do, keep our pants dry, etc.   The other kids start demanding my attention,  making it really hard to talk to Spike.

1 comment:

Rose said...

I'm sorry! No advice here, just condolences!

Although I will mention that when I've allowed my 2-year old to watch Elmo's Potty Time, I make the other kids (4+) go outside or play or somewhere else. Only you know if you could do something like that or not.