tracker

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mold

OK so I grew up living in the desert. Now the desert has it's downsides, but one upside to it, mold doesn't grow there quite the same as it does in a humid climate.

I was introduced to mold in our apartment in VA. It liked to grow on the ceiling above the shower. Now that was pretty gross, but at least in stayed in the bathroom.

Here, the mold is taking over my house, and driving me crazy. The worst part about it is, the only really effective way to clean up mold is with bleach. Now this wouldn't be too much of an issue, if it weren't for the fact, that because I am pregnant, I am advised to stay away from chemicals with high fumes. And unfortunately bleach fits into that category.

My husband has tried really hard to do his part to clean up the mold, but lets face it, with working he isn't home a whole lot, and when he is, he has lots of other things to do, that aren't cleaning up mold.

It started in just the window sills. That was the way it was last winter. It was nasty, but not too bad. For some reason however this winter it has spread like no other. I am finding it in window sills of course, but also corners of bedrooms, and closets. But the worst place is my bathroom. Because of the steam that builds up when someone showers in there, it is growing all over. It is in the window sill, it is on the blinds, it is in the corners, it is on the base board, it is all over the wall behind the toilet, it is growing in the medicine cabinet, along the wall above the shower, on the ceiling. And I wouldn't be surprised to find it other places as well in there.

Then yesterday while doing some cleaning I discovered it growing behind the bookcase in the living room. I could see it on the wall, and I am afraid it is growing on the book case too. But there is no way I can clean that out. Hopefully we don't end up with too much of our stuff damaged by mold by the time we move out of this place.

It just makes me wonder, where else is it growing that I haven't found it yet?

4 comments:

Kim said...

If the mold is really getting that bad, go tell the office of your apartments. They should be able to come in and clean it up and get your fans working right so that it doesn't get as bad again.

Adam & Brandi said...

Wow Julie, this is very serious stuff. I agree with Kim 100%. This needs to be taken care of as soon as possible. Good luck!

The Hills said...

Wow... That sounds just like our last apartment. And some of this one too. Our windows are the worst. In the boys room the track of the window fills with water almost nightly, but it's really bad when it rains. Here is what is going to happen if you go to the apartment manager.

They are going to tell you that as soon as you see moisture that you should wipe it away so the mold won't grow in the first place and that you are responsible for it.

It's a mess and I am not happy about it. I am sorry that you have to deal with the diaster that it can be. You can be ventilated masks for about $5 or so in the paint department at WalMart. I used them while I was pregnant and I didn't get the fumes. I also double gloves so I wouldn't get any bleach on my skin.

Good luck and know that I understand what you are going through.

Shamaine said...

I know what you mean about the mold. Luckily my apartment isn't to bad, but I clean an apartment downstairs and she has a really bad problem. I also use bleach and found that it isn't to bad and my doctor said as long as there is a little air flow in the room it should be fine. But good luck with everything!