tracker

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pretend play

I often have my kids tell me they are BORED!  or ask to play the computer and when I tell them no, they say they have nothing to do.

I was remember this morning, when I was teaching a preschool class in collage, that we had different areas set up, and we would rotate the toys weekly.

Sometimes we would have a theme, and pick the toys that went with that theme.  Other times we would just have different toys that stood out to us, and we would put those out.

Right now I am trying to brainstorm ideas of themes or play ideas to build off of.

For example; they could play farm.  I could stock the toy bins with little people tractor, farm animals, the little people barn, and farmer, I could put out other toys with farm animals, maybe some dress up farmer or cowboy clothes, a hobby horse, blocks, some books on farm animals, etc.

What ideas do you have?  How do your kids play?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds cute, but that's too much work for me. My challenge is to NOT control my kids with their play but to direct them. what if you just had a jar with ideas and see what they do with it? They know where all the farm stuff is and half the fun for them might just be collecting it all and this wouldn't require you all the work so you could use the freed up time to join in a bit.

Rose said...

I think if you make a rule that the computer is only available during certain times, that they will eventually come up with their own ideas of things to do.

The first week or two will be the hardest.

As a kid, I remember that whenever I whined about being bored, my mom would give me WORK to do. I learned that it was better to think for myself and find something to do than to complain to mom.

My kids don't whine about being bored. If they did, I'd probably do the same thing, "Oh, you can go pick up dog poop for me then!" :)