tracker

Saturday, August 10, 2013

A day not quite according to plans

Today was a baby shower for my sister.  The shower was being held at 1:00 at my parents home about a 45 min. drive from my home.   The local college's football team was having a scrimmage/practice that was open to the public at 10:00.  Last week two of my brothers told the hubs that they were going to take their boys to the scrimmage.  The hubs, wanted to spend some time with my brothers so he decided that it would be fun to take the kids to the scrimmage as well.  We only have one vehicle, and as I was supposed to help with food for the shower, and I hadn't gotten to the store to get my shower gift yet.  I wasn't quite sure how we could do both.  Then the hubs came up with an idea.  He could take the kids on the bus, and I could take the car.

Well it took everyone so long to get ready to go, that I ended up dropping them off to the stadium on my way out of town.  Then I needed to get gas, so I stopped at the first gas station, got gas, and then noticed a store right there that I could get what I needed at.  I shopped at the store, finishing at about 11:00, then got on the freeway to head to my parents house.

Unknown to me, at that same time, the hubs was leading our children out of the stadium.  The kids had been bored to tears, and he decided that he could catch a bus to the train station, and then get a train to the area near where my parents live, and then I could pick them up from the train station.

Well, the hubs got the kids to the bus stop 5 minutes too late for the bus.  He told me that at first he was quite concerned, but then noticed that the kids were having a blast watching a bunch of construction vehicles that were working nearby.  

A while later their bus came and they got on.  However as they were headed to the train station, he was informed by another passenger that the next train didn't come for an hour and a half.  Well he got to the station, and sure enough.  If he would have caught the first bus, they would have caught the train.  However, they had missed the train.  He then found an express bus that was leaving before the train, and decided to take that instead.  While waiting for the train he struck up a game of ABC eye spy with the kids.

They made it to a mall somewhat near my parents house, about 2:00 and had lunch.  Then called me about 3 to come and get them. While waiting for me, he decided to let the kids play in a nearby fountain. I went and picked them up, then  we decided to take the kids to the aquarium, and then out to dinner and ice cream.

The day didn't go exactly as we had planned, but I think overall we made a positive experience out of it.  I think the hubs did an awesome job rolling with the situations that came up today, and making it a positive experience for the kids instead of just getting stressed out and frustrated.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Yeah, your hubby definitely gets brownie points!