tracker

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

weight gain

Baby doesn't seem to be gaining much weight.  He was born weighing just above 7 lbs.  At 4 months he was 12 lbs, and then now at almost 6 months, he  weighs still about 12 lbs.  Now this last measurement is on my home scale, and the others are not, so there is a margin for error, but not by much.

The thing is, he eats all the time.  He still eats about every 2 hours.  Sometimes he is done in 5 min.  but if he is tired he will sleep eat and sometimes go for an hour.  I don't think my milk supply is lacking, because I still get engorged at times, but I am worried about what the pediatrician is going to tell me.  I am afraid he is going to tell me to supplement, which will eventually lead to weaning earlier than I want.  I have small kids, but usually they gain weight faster than this.


3 comments:

Melissa said...

Well he is old enough for cereal and baby food. That should fatten him up a bit.

Rose said...

Maybe the boy just has a fast metabolism. :) If he otherwise seems healthy, I wouldn't worry too much. If you buy baby food in the jars, check the calorie count on the jars, and that'll tell you which ones are the most watered down. You'll want the jars with more calories. In Beech Nut vs. Gerber, I think Beech Nut usually wins for fruits and vegetables and Gerber for meat.

LaShaunna said...

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just because a doctor tells you that you should supplement doesn't mean you have to. If he's otherwise healthy and active don't stress about it. My kids have all went through a time where they didn't gain much and so far they've all survived. But all that said, go with your mommy instincts. You are his mom and know him better then anyone.