tracker

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Senses

I read something probably  about 9 months ago talking about using your different senses to combat stress.  Since that time I have tried to pay more attention on how my body responds to my  different senses.

Lately I have been paying attention to sense of smell.  I have found that when my house smells nice, I am more productive, and want my house to be cleaner.  So if I have a scented candle burning, or the windows open, with a fresh breeze blowing through, some fragrant cut flowers in a vase, or even the smell of some cleaners, I tend to work more and feel more productive.

I have noticed however comparing yesterday with today, that having a candle burning I get a more positive response than just having a scented wax melt on a warmer.  The scented wax melts tend to irritate my nose and sometimes give me a headache, at least the first time I melt a new cube.  After that cube has been on the warmer a while the scent isn't so strong, and doesn't seem to bother me as much.  I don't know if this is true for all scented wax cubes, or just this particular brand.  I will have  to try some other brands, and scents and see what the results are.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow, I never thought of it like that but it makes sense. I am happier when my house smells good. Now I'll make more effort to improve the smell around here.

Rose said...

I think you're totally right! It can work with sounds too. When I was married with one child, there was a time when my apartment was sparkling clean. I'd often clean with the windows open and some Kelly Clarkson music playing (because it was the new CD I had at the time). So now whenever I listen to Kelly Clarkson music and there is sunlight, I think of a clean house! :)