tracker

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Stress, gardens, and water

Today I told the kids I would take them to the Children's Garden that is near us.  I told them that they needed to do their jobs, and then we would go.  We could go as early as 9:30 if they were done.  Cinderella was very gung ho and hurried through all of her jobs.  The other kids however were more interested in playing than working.  I kept reminding them, I gave them their job charts,  but they just kept playing.  Meanwhile I  feed Baby his cereal, and gave him a bath.  Cinderella came and asked me what we were going to do  if the other kids didn't do their jobs, because it isn't fair if she has to miss out on the activity, because they are playing.  So I go and tell Guy and Aurora that if I end up having to help them do any of their jobs that they can do for themselves, then they don't get to play in the water at the garden.  I then cleaned up breakfast, nursed Baby, got Spike dressed and helped him do is jobs, helped Aurora do her hair, and sorted and started the laundry.  

I think this gave Guy plenty of time to do his jobs.  However when I went and found him he was laying on his unmade bed, half way dressed, and showing no signs at finishing getting dressed.  So I grabbed a shirt, and helped him get it on.  At this point he started throwing a fit, and telling me he wanted to do his jobs himself.  I told him it was too late for that, he had missed his opportunity, and how I was going to help him so we could go.  We finally made it out the door about 10:40ish.

15 minutes later we get to the garden only to find out that Cinderella left her flip flops at home, and is barefoot.  We were supposed to meet the hubs for lunch around 12,  and I knew it would take about 30 min, to get home and back again.  So we had a change of plans.  Part of me wanted to bag the whole thing, however some of the kids had worked really hard this morning and deserved their reward.  So we went home, got the shoes, and then joined the Hubs for lunch.  After lunch I took the kids to the garden.  I told the kids that any fighting, complaining or not following rules and we would go home.

The first activity at the garden is Noah's Ark.  They have a large ark, that sprays water out of it, and is a fun splash pad for kids.  So Guy had to sit this one out.  The other kids had fun though.




As you can maybe imagine, Guy was anxious for us to move on.  However I told him that he needed to wait.  I wasn't going to make them miss out on their fun, because he hadn't done his jobs this morning.  

After the Ark, the kids went through a hedge maze, and then through a couple of caves.  
Then we got to the spider's web.


Baby chilled in the stroller for most of it.

We then wandered around from one area to the next, the kids having a blast.  I however was getting worn out, and Baby was getting tired of the stroller.  Baby decided he wanted to nurse, so I herded the kids to the sandbox, because there was a bench in the shade, where I could sit to feed baby.   
The kids played well there for a while, but finally started bugging one another.  Once baby was done eating, I was tired of hearing them bicker, so I told them it was time to go.  They started whining at me, and insisting they would be good.  I know I should have been firm, but I didn't want to listen to their whining for the rest of the day, so I gave in.  There was only one more exhibit left anyway, and it is one of their favorites.  There is a little stream, with a pond at the end, and little plastic disks in different shapes that you can sail down the stream, and have races and things.    Well Guy really wanted to play, but I had told him he didn't get to do water.  So I bent the rules a little bit.  I told him he could play as long as he didn't get in the water.  Cinderella asked if she could get in the water, and I told her she could only get in the water to get the disks, but I didn't want her playing in the water.  

Well the kids played for a little while, and then I noticed Aurora wading through the stream.  I hadn't told her the rules, and figured I would once she got back down to the pond, where I was.  Then I saw Cinderella wading in the stream as well.  I felt a little put out with myself that I hadn't been the most firm earlier, so I made sure I followed through on what I had told Cinderella, and told her she was done, because she was wading in the stream.  She felt it wasn't fair that Aurora got to keep playing, and kept telling me so, as she had to sit next to me on the bench.  Well I allowed myself to get more and more annoyed as time went on.  Finally I saw Aurora breaking the rules again, and I had told her this time, so I told the kids we were done.  They were quite upset with me and started whining again.  Guy also decided he didn't have anything to lose at this point and started wading in the stream.  I pulled him out and started trying to gather shoes and things.  Then I notice Aurora and Guy fighting over a water bottle.  At this point I lost it.  I grabbed the water bottle from them and dumped most of what was left in it over Guy's head, and a little bit over Aurora's head as well.  I know bad choice.  So then we left the garden, Guy crying, Cinderella complaining, and me wondering why I took them there in the first place.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Sounds stressful, but it also sounds like you could use some whining advice. When reading your post it seemed the whining got your goat more than the rule-bending.

I wish I could be where you live to observe them, and then I'd probably be better able to advise.

If it helps you feel better, I've dumped water on my kids before...