tracker

Sunday, May 12, 2013

My Mom

The longer I am a mom, the more I realize what my mother knew, and why she did the things she did.  I am also a lot more appreciative for the efforts she made.  My mom is the mother of 9 children.  She taught us the value of reading, work, and music.  She kept a mostly clean house, she made  most of my clothes when I was small, she works hard, and I never realized just how hard, until I was a mom.

Keeping a house clean, is hard.  Teaching children how to help you keep a house clean is even harder.   Taking care of 5 kids is hard.  I can't imagine being mother to 9.  Finding the time to make an outfit here and there is difficult.  I have no idea how she made all of my clothes.

I asked her about it recently and she gave me her advice.  Clean up as you go.  Keep the kids with you. While you sew, have them play on the floor near you.  When you are ready to move on, clean up that room before leaving.   Make your bed before you leave your room in the morning.  When you finish breakfast, clean up, wash off the table, and sweep the floor before you move on to the next thing.
I started trying to follow her advice, and keeping my house clean suddenly became a lot easier.  My mom knows what she is talking about.

Thanks Mom for all you have done, and all you do.  I love you.

Happy Mother's Day!

4 comments:

Rose said...

Happy Mother's Day Julie! You can also train your little ones to help too. It's tedious at first, but it pays off later. My oldest (about the same age as your oldest), makes breakfast for the whole family every day and cleans up afterwards. I just need to help with a couple things (like slicing an apple with a sharp knife).

Julie said...

I didn't mean to say that you shouldn't teach your children to help around the house. You should. I only meant to say it can be discouraging while trying to teach them.

Rose said...

I know you didn't mean that! It just thought it seemed like you thought you needed to do everything yourself, and maybe you thought your little ones were too small to help. I just wanted to let you know that they are big enough to do work... and yes, the training process can be stressful! :) Bless you, Julie!

Robin said...

I love that picture of your mom and 2 oldest kids. Its fun to remember what they looked like when they were really small.