tracker

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Lunch

I am done with my quiet time boxes now, so I am moving on to my next concern for summer.  Lunches.  I don't like lunch.  First off, I don't ever think to make it until I am hungry and I have hungry whiny children pulling at my legs, and demanding food this instant.  Second, my kids won't eat veggies raw, except a few of them will eat carrot sticks, I am not a junk food kind of person, I like healthy food, and would like to feed my kids healthy food, but they won't eat it.  Third, when I am hungry I want food, NOW.   Fourth,  I have a hard time coming up with ideas of what to make for them.

I am going to try to solve some of these issues by seeing if I can remember to make lunches the night before.  This will be tricky, because it means finding the time, as well as room in the fridge, and the energy at night, when really what I want to do is spend a little bit of time with the hubs and then go to bed.

The other two I am going to ask for suggestions from you readers.  What kinds of things do your kids eat for lunch?  Is there any way you have tried, that works to get picky eaters to eat things they wouldn't otherwise?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it would be easier to just set a timer for lunch and get started earlier then trying to do it the night before and giving up that alone time.

I don't go too crazy for lunch. We usually alternate between leftovers from dinner, grilled cheese/tomato soup, chicken nuggets, corndogs, sandwiches, ramen, and mac n cheese. I always try to serve each of these with a fruit and veggie on the side. My kids eat fruits better than veggies. I find that if you serve raw veggies with ranch they eat it better. Raw veggies are hard for most kids. I often serve leftover cooked veggies.

The Osborne Family said...

My 4-year-old is a pretty picky eater, so lunches are usually just thrown together and often a variety of mostly healthy snack foods. He loves applesauce and yogurt, so sometimes we'll just do that with different mix-ins (raisins, craisins, cereal, berries, etc. ) or things to dunk in it (graham crackers, waffle strips, apple slices, pretzels, etc.). We also do macaroni, hot dogs (I get turkey dogs for lower fat and sodium), chicken nuggets (all natural), cheese and crackers, tuna and crackers, hard boiled eggs, Bagel Bites pizzas, grilled cheese sandwiches, and healthy things like carrot sticks (sometimes with Ranch dressing for dipping), grapes, berries, mandarin oranges, canned fruit, melon, bananas, etc. Smoothies are also a big hit, made of mostly fruit (I get a lot frozen so I don't have to worry about it spoiling) and yogurt and sometimes juice. Dinner leftovers also work.