tracker

Saturday, February 21, 2009

When they are sick, it is Mama.

My kids seem to get sick at the most inconvenient times. Lately we are fighting a nasty cold. The kid have a dry cough, that just doesn't want to go away, and I can't come up with anything that really helps. And of course it is worst at night.

So my life has been kind of crazy lately, and having sick kids just adds to the craziness. I am trying to pack my apartment. I am trying to keep my house somewhat clean and presentable. I am trying to make sure my families needs for food and clean clothing are met. And I am trying to give my kids the attention they need. And unfortunately for all of us. When kids are sick, they need a lot more attention.

I feel bad asking anyone one to watch my kids during the day, so that I can get some packing done. Because they are sick. But I need the help, so I do it anyway. Sorry if I got your kids sick. :0(

At night time, they always seem to have the hardest time. Daddy is a really big help. Pretty much for the last 5 months or so, if the kids have a problem in the night, he gets up and takes care of it, so that I can get my much needed sleep. There is one exception to this rule however. When the kids are sick, it is Mama. That is who they want, and Daddy just doesn't know what to do to help them. I don't blame him. I think it is a mothers intuition, or maybe just some feminine instincts. But I have spent many a night lately getting up, picking up a crying Guy out of his bed. And taking him to the rocking chair. We then rock until he settles down. You see, he wakes himself up, then gets worked up, and as long as he is worked up, he is coughing really bad, and so he can't calm himself down. So it is Mama's job to calm him down.

Last night, in my not total awakedness, I created an even bigger dilemma for myself to deal with. I heard both kids coughing away, and not being able to sleep. So I sent Daddy to get them a drink of water. Well, neither kid was really interested in the water, and all it did was proceed to wake them up enough that they couldn't go back to sleep. So I had gotten Guy, and had taken him to the living room to rock. He had finally calmed down, but I could hear Cinderella coughing and crying for Mama. I wasn't sure how I was going to get Guy in his bed, and Cinderella calmed down, without re disturbing Guy. Thankfully the transfer seemed to work OK, and I had Guy in his bed, and Cinderella in the rocking chair. We rocked until she calmed down, then I took her back to bed. I got back in my bed, and was there for about 2 or 3 min. when I heard Guy bump his head on the wall or bed, and then start crying and coughing again. I quickly went and got him, so that he wouldn't wake up Cinderella again. As I was rocking him this time, I wondered how long this was going to keep up. I offered a prayer that we could all get the sleep we really needed, and thankfully once he settled down this time, they both went back to sleep and allowed me to do the same. Later in the night Guy came into our room, asking Daddy to help him find his "plug" and blow his nose. I was grateful that he was handling waking up this way this time, instead of crying. I could see that my prayer was being answered. So other than Daddy getting up to meet his needs at that point, we were able to sleep the rest of the night uninterrupted.

No comments: