tracker

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Meal ideas anyone?

OK we are getting down to the wire of when I will be leaving. I leave a week from tomorrow. My husband leaves a week and day after me. My goal is to have as much as possible packed before I leave. And I don't want to have to put off packing too much. So right now I'm trying to think about what we are going to eat.

I want meals that don't require too many pans and bowls to make. Breakfast isn't too hard. If we have cereal with juice every morning the only prep dish we need is a pitcher for the juice.

Lunch, could be PB and J. If I buy pre-made bread, all I need to make it is a knife and spoon (which can be plastic).

Dinners however are a bit more complicated. I am trying to come up with as many meals as I can that you can make with 1 frying pan, 1 sauce pan, and maybe a colander, cutting board and set of sharp knives. Or less. Also I want them to be meals that take as little prep as possible, because I am going to be busy all day, and not have a lot of energy for cooking at the end of the day. I might be asking for too much, but if you don't ask, you never learn right?

So if anyone has any meal suggestions, I would appreciate the input. And if you could give me basic instructions on making it (if it isn't something simple like to make spaghetti: you boil the noodles, and heat up the sauce), I would appreciate it.

So I need dinner ideas for this Saturday through next Thursday suitable for my whole family, and then meals for the next Friday through the Friday after that for my husband.

Thanks.

6 comments:

The Osborne Family said...

I NEVER spend a lot of time cooking dinner. Everything is simple and requires as few dishes as possible. You can find my list here: http://recipeandmenuswap.blogspot.com/2008/08/menu-list.html

Justin & Denice said...

hey julie, There is one thing we eat a lot because it's really fast and the kids would probably like to help you. It does require a cookie sheet. You buy flat bread pitas, mozz cheese, pizza sauce and whatever meat you like and make pizzas and it. It takes like 5minutes and you stick in the oven and 350 and wait till the toppings are melted and warm. Hope that helps

Kirsten said...

we always seem to do burritos while moving: tortilla, refried beans, cheese, possibly leftovers, and nuke in the microwave.
also, fried rice, enchiladas, taco soup (basically chili, eat with tortilla chips), fondue (i just put out a bunch of dips and veggies and let my kids go crazy), and don't underestimate the power of a hot dog.

The Hills said...

Sandwiches!

They are always great for no mess no stress days.

Or go with the burrito idea, super fast and super easy, especially if you don't use meat.

Anonymous said...

Have you buzzed the freezer section at Grocery Outlet? THey have these yummy family size meals you just microzap for like 8 minutes. I know your trying to clean OUT the freezer, but when we lived here for almost two without our stuff that's what we used. Ok we gave in and bought new pots and pans........hmmmm

Rose said...

Nachos... great if you do meatless with pre-shredded cheese from the grocery store. Toss the a layer of chips on the microwave plate, layer with cheese and your favorite nacho toppings, another layer of chips cheese and nacho toppings, repeat for as many layers as you like. If you MUST have ground beef on it, thaw some that morning and brown it in the skillet.

Rice is always easy to do... you could do Rice-A-Roni from the store if you didn't want to bother with seasonings.