tracker

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Perspective

So the weather has been nasty this year. Gray skies and cooler temperatures have covered our corner of the nation. And I've been pretty negative about it lately, letting it get to me. Until about 3 days ago. I saw something that put it all in perspective for me, and helped me realize how much I am blessed.

I don't do a very good job of reading the newspaper, and we don't have TV in our home, so sometimes I am quite sheltered about what is going on in the world around me. Well on Wednesday, I was in a grumpy mood, and was tired of cold weather. I decided I wanted to see what the weather was like where my parents live, and see if they had better weather than we did.
So I went to Weather.com and what I saw was a real eye opener.

The page that loads when you type in weather.com lists all of the weather news stories. I had no clue about the flooding that Iowa was going through. I watched videos of people who had been evacuated from their homes because of floods. I saw homes being destroyed as flood waters rushed past. I saw a man cleaning out his home of 65 years. Pretty much everything had been ruined from the storm.

And it keeps getting worse. Today I watched one that said 400 city blocks under water. Thousands of people evacuated from their homes. Many without flood insurance, because they thought they lived far enough away from the river to be safe.

Then there are all the tornadoes that have been ripping through the Midwest. So many people are losing their homes, or having their homes damaged, or even just having to be evacuated from their homes.

For me, it makes gray clouds not that bad to deal with. At least I have my home.

4 comments:

Shamaine said...

What a great perspective! I never thought about it that way. Dave and I are planning on moving to Portland/Vancouver area, and I've been trying to tell myself that gray skies most of the year won't be too bad. :)

Kirsten said...

amen. and love the new pic of your kids on top of your page.

Kirsten said...

and, i love that you don't have a tv. yea!

Adam & Brandi said...

This was an awesome post. I too have been tired of this weather. Thanks for putting me back into to reality and for helping me to just be grateful. It makes me want to go and post and entry on weather. haha