tracker

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Father's Day

As Fathers Day approaches, many minds turn to grills, tools, sport equipment, video games, entertainment equipment, and of course the traditional tie. Trying to find the perfect gift for that father who raised us. Who taught us wrong from right. That Dad who gave up times of doing what he wanted to do, or willingly dragged us along, so that we could have some bonding time. The father who taught little boys what it means to be a boy, and little girls that they are beautiful.

Until recently my mind wouldn't have moved beyond those limits. But this year it did. Over Memorial Day weekend, I was visiting my father-in-law, and at church that Sunday, a woman was talking, and mentioned a few gifts that her daughter had given her for different Mother's Day's that she really appreciated. One year her daughter had given her a basket filled with items, that represented different things her mother had taught her. Another year she received a booklet that was filled with memories of Mom. I know that Mom's and Dad's are very different people, and look at things in very different ways. So what I want to know is, do you think a Father would appreciate that kind of sentimental stuff? Or would he rather have the grill?

So I know this is coming a bit early, but all the Dad's in my life are going to get the sentimental stuff this year. So here goes.....

Dad.
My Dad is a very giving person. I remember his always setting aside his needs for us kids. There are nine kids in my family, and I realize, now as a parent, how demanding that must be. But I never heard my father complain.
He willingly helps out around the house. Most of the years I remember, my dad made dinner. He didn't do it because he enjoys to cook. Although I think he does. He did it for my mom. She started teaching piano lessons, hoping to help the family make ends meet. Dad would come home from work, tired, and find her still teaching lessons. He didn't sit down with his newspaper for some personal time until dinner was ready. No. He would go to the kitchen and start making dinner. I don't think I realized how much of a sacrifice that was to him, until I got old enough to help out, and took upon myself the dinner responsibility. I remember one day standing in the kitchen making spaghetti. My dad came in the door, and said something to the effect that, "It is so nice to come home to dinner already on the stove, and almost ready."
My dad is the one who taught me how to clean a bathroom. And when I would do it the way he specified, it would be really clean. I remember him always taking his Saturday's to help out around the house. He would clean out the garage, mow the lawn, clean bathrooms, mop floors, vacuum, do laundry, take out garbage, etc. I don't think there was anything my father felt above doing.
My dad loves my mom with all his heart. The only time I can remember my father ever striking me was when I was disrespectful to my mom. I don't think my dad would accept anyone being unkind or disrespectful to my mother.
I love you Dad!

My husband.
My husband tries very hard to be a good Daddy. He willingly sacrifices time spent doing his hobbies, to play with the kids, or help me around the house. He likes to think of fun things to do with the kids. He recently bought a kite, because he thought Cinderella would enjoy playing with it with him.
He changes diapers, and even gets up in the night at times, with out much complaint. He works hard, even when he doesn't always enjoy his job, because he knows that it means that I can stay home with the kids, and our family can have what they need.
He tries to be the best he can be. Trying to put our family first, even when it is hard, and he has other demands on his time, and efforts.
He often comes home and helps me make dinner, if for some reason it isn't done when he gets home. He tries to take the kids off my hands if he can tell I've had a hard day. He is a very wonderful person, and I am so glad I am married to him. I love you Honey!

My father-in-law.
I don't know him as well as I know my husband or Dad, but I do know that he tries to be there for his children. My mother-in-law, died quite a few years ago, and he hasn't felt like it is the right time to get remarried, so he tries hard to be a mother and a father to his children. I'm sure it is quite a struggle for him. But I know he is an amazing man. He has to be to have raised a son like my husband. He tries to spend time with each of his children, even though they are grown up and reside in many different locations. He strives to better himself, and serve others around him. He is a very selfless man. He tries to be conscientious of others feelings. And I think I couldn't ask for a better father-in-law.

Well there you have it. Those are the fathers that have directly influenced my life. I am so grateful to have them in my life.

Happy early Father's Day!

So now tell me, is that better than a grill? Or should I go for something more tangible next year?

No comments: