tracker

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Attached

So Guy is an interesting kid. When he was born he was content to suck his thumb. Personally I am not a fan of thumb sucking, so I replaced the thumb with a "plug" whenever I saw it in his mouth. Since that time he has become quite attached to his "plug". If I don't hide them, he feels the need to have one constantly in his mouth. Especially when he is teething. Well that has it's pluses and minuses. He isn't a very quiet kid when he doesn't have the plug in. Which is OK except at church.
On Mother's Day, we forgot the plug, and didn't have any in the diaper bag either. It made for a long and emotional day. Mother's day was also my first day not in primary, for over a year. When I was teaching primary, if Guy started acting up, we just had to try to get him to be quiet, but ignore it, as much as possible. I had forgotten, how it is in different church meetings.
We were in Sunday School, when he started acting up. We were sitting in the back, and all the doors are in the front of the room. I didn't want to cause more of a disruption by taking him out. So I just tried to shush him. I pulled out books for him to look at, I tried to give him snacks. Nothing would get him to be quiet. He was tired and felt the need for his plug. So finally I took him out. Only to be greeted in the foyer by a woman, who I don't know, asking me if Guy was the loud one. I replied that he had been loud, and she told me she was glad that I had finally taken him out, and now she could go back to the meeting. He had been very distracting. I apologized, and felt terrible. Since that time, I always make sure I have a plug in the diaper bag, as well as one in his mouth, and take him out the moment he starts making noise.

Well his plug isn't all he is attached to, but that is what it started with. When my sister and her son came and visited, the second attachment started. My nephew is attached to a blanket, and a blanket duck, that he needs when he sleeps. Well because his cousin had something, Guy felt the need for something. He has a dog, that he picked up and started totting around with, when he was getting tired, and he wanted in his bed at nap, and bedtime. And so the attachment to the dog started. Well my husband thought that we would be in a world of hurt if we couldn't find the dog. So he attempted to build up another attachment.
The bear. My parents gave Guy a stuffed bear for his first Easter. Daddy started giving Guy the bear when he would put him down, along with the dog, to see if we could build an attachment there. Well we did. He now has to have both the dog and the bear when he goes to bed. Although I think there are times we can get by without one or the other.

Well about a week ago, Guy pulled one of Cinderella's blankets off her bed. It is a really soft fluffy blanket. He carried it around the house, and would throw it down on the floor, then lay on it. I figured he must be tired, but I didn't want his sister to get upset about the blanket, so I promptly found a different soft fluffy blanket, and traded him. Well now he is VERY attached to the blanket, however he is flexible, in that it just needs to be a soft fluffy blanket, not a particular one.

The other morning, I went to get him after he had woken up. I pulled him out of the crib, and he motioned that he wanted something that was still in his bed. So I put him back down, and he grabbed his blanket. I carried him to the table, where we were starting breakfast. I put him in his highchair, and he insisted that blanky needed to come too.


He didn't want to give it up. I finally traded him "blanky" for a pancake. He wasn't happy about it. But accepted the trade. (Maybe because he had no choice.) But he promptly picked up blanky as soon as he was freed from his chair. So now nap time, is quiet the ordeal. With bear, doggy, and blanky. Oh well at least he sleeps.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Adam & Brandi said...

How cute! He's adorable.

The Hills said...

Jenna had the same problems...

I have insisted that the blankets (there are like 5 of them) stay in her bed. They are not allowed downstairs at all, for any reason although she can bring the smallest one down when she is sick. The blanket is then not allowed anywhere near the kitchen because of safety reasons.

We are bribing her to stop the thumb sucking (we found a doll she really liked and there are multiple dolls, so when she stops sucking her thumb she gets doll number two, the firs one was for her birthday).

As for the lady telling you what she did during Sunday School, well, that was plain rude. So what if kids get loud? The teacher should just speak louder (John practically screams sometimes when he teaches, mostly because there are a couple of nearly deaf people who attend his class). I'm sorry you had to deal with something like that on Mother's day. Some people need to learn to be a little more sympathetic.

angelalois said...

omigosh if anyone said anything like that to me at church, they'd get a piece of my mind. that is so rude. good for you for keeping your cool. i told my husband and he said what you should have done is followed her back into the meeting! hahaha! anyway. guy is adorable. stay strong, sista.

Grossarths said...

How come I never knew that you have a blog?!! I must be really out of it! I'm just glad that I found it. And I'm glad that I don't know who it was that made that rude comment to you at church. I'm afraid I would have broken down in tears right in front of her if she had done that to me! She must not have kids, or else its been a really long time. Well, I guess we can all learn from bad examples.

Kirsten said...

agreed on the rude comment at church. (she could have moved closer to the front: those seats are never taken!) i think its more important for the moms and dads to be in meetings, rather than wandering the halls with their kids, so who cares if its a little noisy? there's too many who use their kids being distracting as a cop out. ok, enough of my soapbox. my little guy has a bear and doggie, too, but way bigger than yours! still, he's going through the stage when he wants everything (and i mean everything) from the crib to come with him when he leaves it, only to drop it with the first new toy he finds!