tracker

Sunday, June 8, 2008

The day the camera died....

So this morning I was sitting down to write my weekly e-mail that I send out to family. I picked up the camera, and pushed the "on" button to see if I had any pictures on it that needed to be loaded to the computer. The camera turned on, but the screen stayed black, and no lights came on. It was like it was off, except the lens was out and open. I tried to push different buttons, but got no response. I then tried turning it off. Still no response. My mind started going through the worst case scenario. The camera is dead, we won't be able to get out any pictures to anyone, we'll have to spend lots of money to get it fixed or buy a new one, what ever will we do?

So I went and woke up my husband. "The camera is broke!" I said. He groggily rubbed his eyes and said, "well it lasted 3 years." I was already in panic mode, "doesn't he care that the camera is busted. What are we going to do?" My mind was already going into "fix it" mode. I know that is generally the guy's response, but hey he wasn't responding, at least to my liking.

He took the batteries out, and I saw some lights blink. There was a response, something must still work. He tried the buttons again, nothing. I suggested putting in some different batteries, and see if it will work. So we hunted and finally found some, and guess what, it worked. Yeah!!!

Now my pessimistic attitude says, "it's already fritzed out, it will die before we know it and we will be with out a camera." But then the optimistic side kicks in and says, "hey at least it is working now, and might work for a long time."

Anyway, I noticed there were no pictures on the camera, and so I set it aside, and turned to the computer. I opened our Picasa, to see what pictures I had from earlier in the week. And can you believe it, all that Picasa was reading, was broken images. "NO!" my head screamed, "now all of our pictures on the computer are goners too!" We had backed up a few months ago, but nothing since.

I pointed it out to my husband, who coolly responded, that it just looked like Picasa was re-indexing my pictures. "Of course it is re indexing my pictures, it can't find any of them." my mind said.

It is at this point that I should have realized, that I wasn't thinking rationally anymore. My husband is a computer programmer, so he understands more than I do about how computer programs work. I don't usually question what he says about computers. But if I'm not thinking rationally, like I would notice that, hello.

So I opened my folders looking to see if it was Picasa, or if the pictures were really gone. They were all where they were supposed to be. I asked my husband if I should uninstall and reinstall Picasa. He told me just to close it and restart it. So I closed Picasa, and reopened it, and what do you know, it worked. All of our stuff showed up right where it was supposed to be. Silly me :)

No comments: