tracker

Monday, June 2, 2008

Oh Cordeela!

Cinderella has started thanking me for meals. She will say, "Thanks mom, for making lunch" or dinner or brektist. It makes me feel all warm inside.

One night I noticed an odd problem with the light on our balcony. It had burned out a few weeks before and we had replaced the bulb with a compact florescent. The area we live in tends to have a high crime rate, and we will occasionally hear search helicopters circling around at night, so we have gotten in the habit of making sure our balcony light is on every night. One night I came out to check and make sure the doors were locked and the light was turned on before we went to bed, and the light was off. I thought it was a little odd, because I thought I had turned it on. So I went to flip the switch, and it was already on. So I turned it off and then back on, and it came back on. I thought I must have been mistaken, and so I went about doing other bedtime preparations. Well went I turned back towards the back door, the light was off again. So I pointed it out to my husband. He went out and made sure the bulb was screwed in tight, and turned it on again. Well it happened again. So we thought there might be a short in the wire. So the next day, I went to the apartment office to request a work order and later that day, the maintenance man came and replaced the bulb with a different one, and we haven't had any more problems since. It must have been a faulty bulb.

Anyway, one day I was playing with the kids. Guy has some large cloth covered sponge blocks, and Cinderella was picking them up and throwing them. I told her we don't throw things in the house, and then proceeded to tell her a story about when Mommy was a little girl, she and her brothers and sisters were throwing stuff inside, and Grandma came in, and got mad. Grandma then picked up a stuffed bunny, and told us not to throw things in the house. At that point the bunny left her hand, flew through the air, and broke a light.
At this point, Cinderella asked me, "did the worker man have to come and fix it?" I told her that Grandpa probably fixed it. Well later that night, when we were getting the kids to bed, I noticed that their night light was burnt out, so I asked my husband if he could fix it. Cinderella then said, "no the worker man fixes the lights." Oh the perspective of a child who has only lived in apartments.

Our bishop (the leader of our congregation) counseled the members of our ward (congregation), that we should use the money we receive from the economic stimulus that the government is handing out, to prepare for if the economy does go sour. So we have been looking at our emergency preparedness, and one thing I noticed was that if we were without power we would have no way to cook. So we decided that one thing we would do with our stimulus check was buy an alternative cooking source. So we got a portable stove, that converts to a grill or griddle. It arrived via UPS this week, and so the box was sitting in our living room until Daddy got home from work.
Guy was so excited about this thing. I was watching a friends daughter at the time, and Guy went up to her, and jabbered something off, and then went and pounded on the box (it had pictures of the stove being used on it). She didn't seem impressed enough to really look at it, so Guy tried once again to get her attention and divert it to the box.
After dinner that night, Daddy pulled it out and set it up, while Guy was still in his high chair. Cinderella was really enjoying helping. Daddy was having a little difficulty getting it out of the box and exclaimed, "oh man, this things a beast." Cinderella then responded with, "That man is not a beast." pointing to the man in the picture on the box.
I came into the room a few minutes later, and decided to rescue Guy from his chair. He went strait to the stove, and hit the auto light button. Thankfully it wasn't hooked up to any propane or turned on. He thinks he knows what he is doing. Daddy had set some of his cast iron cookware on top, and Guy just wanted to have his hands on everything.

Note: My subject is a comment that has been coming out of Cinderella's mouth several times a day since we watched "The Happiest Millionaire" this last weekend. The character's name is Cordelia, but Cinderella pronounces it Cordeela.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

what a good idea to get that stove! we've been working on 72 hour kits and food storage. it seems every time we move, we eat it up so we don't have to move it, and then start over again. we'll have to look into getting one of those, too!