tracker

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pets

Today there was a preschool field trip to a pet store.  I have to admit puppies and kittens sure are cute.  But they can sure be expensive!  Cinderella wants a chihuahua.  Those dogs were like $500-$600 dollars,  just for the dog.  I know it costs money to have a pet, but I really don't want to pay that much for a pet that my kids will get tired of, and then I will have to take care of it.
I told Cinderella that if she can keep her room clean for 30 days in a row she can have a pet.  I figure if she can stay motivated that long we stand a better chance of her actually staying motivated to take care of the pet.

1 comment:

Rose said...

The best advice I have concerning kids and pets is that if you want the kids to hold most of the responsibility for the animal (with reminders from you, of course), then you'll want one that is low maintenance. For example, some breeds shed a lot and would leave a lot of hair around your house if you don't brush them regularly.

My hubby loves the site www.dogbreedinfo.com. It gives you a lot of information about the maintenance required for a dog, whether or not they are good with kids, etc.

You can also check your newspaper classifieds for better deals on dogs. Just make your purchase conditional upon a clean bill of health (verified by you taking the animal to the vet of your choice within 3 days of pickup). You don't need a purebred unless you're planning to breed or show, so you could also look at dogs advertised as a "mix."

My hubby knows a lot about dogs and could probably talk for hours about them. So if you decide you want more advice about choosing a dog, purchasing, etc... let us know. We could probably give you more advice than you'd probably care for. :)