tracker

Monday, September 30, 2013

A bed, or not a bed? That is the question.

My boys are really rough on beds.  Guy has had 2 beds that he has broken (one of those being tonight), and one that was taken away from him so he wouldn't break it.  Guy and Spike have slept on a queen bed, a queen futon, and twin beds.  They have also slept on mattresses on the floor, and just on the floor itself.  

Guy is not a very good listener, and really not the best at obeying.  He does what ever he gets into his head, without thinking about what the consequences will be, or how his actions will affect those around him.  Tonight, he and Spike, were supposed to be going to bed.  Now unless someone knows something I don't know, all that I can do is get them into their bedroom, and make them stay there.  I can't make not play, or go to sleep.  Sure I can threaten, and  cajole.  I can bribe, and plead, but really when they go to sleep is their decision.  They tend to rough house, and wrestle, instead of settling down.  I really don't know what to do about it, if there is anything that I can do.

Tonight, according to them, they were climbing on Guy's bed, and jumping off onto the floor.  Then the bed frame came apart with one bolt missing, and the other bent totally out of shape.  Needless to say he doesn't get to sleep in a bed tonight.  Spike's bed is still in there, and from the sound of things, they might be repeating their actions.  But short of taking away his bed too, what do you do?

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Julie... my 8 year old is just like this. He has now been diagnosed with ADHD, which has given me some new understanding, but aside from sitting in his room, getting really upset with him... he truthfully loves sleeping on the floor next to my bed. he brings his pillow and blankets. I feel bad about this sometimes, but he sleeps well, is able to calmly listen to a meditation/affirmation CD, and I know he is safe and not damaging anything in our home. <3 We were also advised by his pediatric psychologist to use melatonin on occasion as needed... but that is also related to his ADHD medications. Which isn't an issue for you. :)

Corinne said...

Okay, you know something I don't know. 'Cause I can't even get my little man to stay in his room. I've read of a few ideas to help, but I mostly feel clueless. This "bed time" which I always idealized as a very special and even sacred time has become a nightmare.
On another note, I do identify with your boys. I remember playing games on our beds as we were supposed to be going to sleep. We'd yell out, "Hit the deck!" when we thought we heard someone coming so we could slam off the lights and jump under our covers, as if we could hide what we were doing. Haha.
So, I guess it is just normal kid behavior (that is assuming that I was a normal kid). And it sounds to me like you are setting good boundaries to let them learn what appropriate behavior is.

marinda said...

Did you ask you mom?
I got no experience here. We practice co-sleeping but face a similar problem. We can make them lay down but they decide when to stop talking. Asking, begging, threatening...they won't stop talking until they are ready. Usually it's not a problem, but I have had occasion to feel your pain.
If I had your boys, I would try: 1 Korean fold up mattresses on the floor, 2: beds put away every morning before leaving their room, 3: no playing with the bed. 4: 30 minutes if aerobic exercise ending 60 to 30 minutes before they lay down to go to sleep. 5: rewards for boys who fall asleep within 30 minutes of laying down to bed and staying in bed the whole night. (like extra minutes on the computer or playing with friends, or an extra snack or bedtime story).
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!