tracker

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Not praising the child but giving encouragement

Today in my reading I learned about how praising your children actually has negative effects.  Instead of praising your children you should give encouragement and praise their actions.  Instead of saying "Your so smart, you got an A on your math test", you should say "You got an A on your math test, good job.  You worked really hard on studying and now it paid off.  Doesn't that make you feel great!"

That kind of thing.  So I tried to put that into practice with Aurora today.  When she helped me put Spike's socks on, I thanked her for getting the socks, and trying to get them on him.  And when she did all of her jobs on her own, with me just telling her what to do, but not going around with her and helping her do them, I told her "Good job, you did all your jobs by yourself.  Doesn't that make you feel good!"  (Or something like that.)

No comments: