tracker

Monday, September 22, 2008

What am I supposed to learn?

Do you ever have one of those times in life, when it seems like the same kind of thing just keeps happening to you, and you wonder "what am I supposed to learn from this?"
Lately, we have been dealing with illness in our house. And it definitely makes things harder.
The weekend after Labor day weekend, Cinderella's eyes started bothering her. She would rub and rub, and so they would puff up. She would wake up crying in the middle of the night because her eyes were bothering her. And I have no clue as to why this was happening. She did have a runny nose, and I thought maybe she had some allergies. But couldn't figure out what allergens were in the air, that wouldn't have been around before. I was stumped.
Well a few days later, Guy started coming down with a runny nose of his own, and my nose was a little runny too. I figured it was probably just a cold, but wasn't sure what that had to do with her eyes. By the next weekend, Guy was sick. On Thursday he had started to run a fever, and on Saturday his eyes started to get goopy. They weren't pink or red, so I didn't think it was pink eye, but I wasn't sure. When he still had a small fever Monday morning, I took him to the doctor. It turned out that he had a double ear infection. They got him on an antibiotic and all of his symptoms cleared up in about a day.
So by mid week last week we were doing good. Or so I thought. I had no idea what was lurking around the corner. First Daddy came down with a cold too. Then on Friday, Cinderella started to develop a headache. By dinner time her tummy was hurting too, and she had a fever. We gave her some Tylenol and put her to bed. At about 1:00 that night she came into my room to tell me she had spilled something on her bed. I went to see what had happened, and noticed she had vomited all over her bed. She spent the rest of the night with me in my bed, and Daddy moved to the guest bed. After she was sick 5 or 6 more times that night, I decided we should take her into the walk in clinic on Saturday morning. They did a strep culture and a urine analysis. I haven't heard back with complete analysis yet. But she is acting like she is feeling much better.
Then today, right before lunch, she started rubbing her eyes again. Which makes me wonder, "what is bothering her eyes, and what, if anything, is coming next?"

4 comments:

nomadicspud said...

Unfortunately, I know exactly how you feel. It isn't easy. In my case it was Faith and pneumonia, over and over. I racked my brain trying to figure out where she was getting the germs from. Eventually we realized it was allergies but with no inside dogs, mold, smoking or wood stove (the most likely offernders) there was no diagnosis as to what she is allergic to. If it helps "this too shall pass", but I always hate it when people say that. I hope it gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Julie, I'm sorry. As the Lord wills, I hope everyone is healthy soon!

The Hills said...

That doesn't sound like fun. Once you learn what it is you are supposed to learn, can you let me know what it is? I am sitting just south of you with all three kids getting over one thing, but maybe coming down with pink eye. I also have a husband who is suffering daily from cluster headaches and is now getting a sinus infection on top of that.

Somehow, I don't think it is patience that is the lesson here.

wandering nana said...

There are lots of things in the air as the season is changing so it could be allergies. I had a child who had runny nose and watery eyes continually. We finally did the allergy test and the final was she wasn't allergic to anything but was symptomatic. When I started doing coding for doctors I found there is a name.... it is called 'non-allergic rhininitis". Allergy meds is all you can do. Sunday nursery is a breeding ground for sickness (per daughters pediatrician. Hang in there, it will get better.