tracker

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Blackout

So this morning, as we were getting ready for Breakfast, Cinderella announced that she needed to use the potty. Yes we are still potty-training, and so I went with her to the bathroom. I squatted by her on the floor, and then stood up. Well I guess I stood up to fast, because the room started spinning. Now for me this is a common thing. If I stand up to fast, the room starts spinning and starts to go back. I usually just lean back against a wall, until my head clears. So I leaned back against the open bathroom door.

The next thing I knew I heard Daddy saying "Mama?" my head really hurt on one side, and my face was pressed up against some carpet. I was really confused wondering where I was and how I got there. I told him my head hurt, and asked where I was. It started to come back to me, that I had been in the bathroom with Cinderella, so I was trying to figure out the carpet thing. Do I have a rug like this in the bathroom? Why am I laying down? Why does my head hurt?
My husband told me I had hit my head on something, and had me try to move. I moved back, and realized that I had fallen into the hallway, and saw blood on the carpet. At this point I started freaking out. And got really emotional. I think I scared my husband, because he asked if I needed him to call an ambulance. I asked if it was that bad. So he got a damp wash cloth and took a look at my head. He told me it looked like I had just skinned part of it, so we pressed the cloth against my head to try to stop the bleeding.

I kept the cloth on my head for a couple hours, while I ate breakfast and then laid down on the couch. I felt terrible. Not so much physically, as emotionally. I felt like it was all my fault. I felt bad that my husband felt like he had to work from home today to help me until I was back on my feet. I felt bad, because I couldn't meet the needs of my kids. It is a terrible feeling.

Thankfully the bleeding stopped, and now I just have a slight headache in the spot that I hit. It comes and goes, and I think is getting better. It just made for a crazy morning.

3 comments:

Ruthann said...

Good thing your husband was home. I'm pretty sure my kids would freak out if that happened to me.

wandering nana said...

The fact that you blacked out and fell and don't remember how is something you should see your doctor for. It's probably nothing but you should get it checked out and as my son-in-law the doctor would tell you... yes you should call an 911 as they can do an evaluation on the spot when you are still symptomatic.
It's not so much that you get light headed when you stand quickly, it's the fact you passed out. Get some rest.

Jenni said...

Scary! I hope you are feeling better- It wasn't your fault, but do you know what causes your light headedness? I've never blacked out before, but I've been around my sister as she did. Never a good thing. Take it easy! I'm glad you're hubby was able to work from home to help you out..