tracker

Friday, September 12, 2008

Defiance

So this morning, Cinderella hit a curve ball at me that I'm not quite sure how to deal with yet. Last night I watched one of my friends kids, until quite late. As a result, my kids ended up staying up quite a bit later than normal. To top it off, when I was getting Guy in his PJ's last night, I noticed he had a fever. We ended up putting our kids to bed before their friends left, but not by much. As soon as my friend picked up her kids, my husband and I decided to call it a night, without even cleaning up. And believe me, with 4 toddlers, it was a big mess.

Well this morning, Guy still wasn't feeling well, and was quite ornery all through breakfast. So I put him down for a nap, as soon as I could. Well Cinderella wanted to play Kwala on the computer, and because I figured it would be a quiet activity, allowing Guy to get his much needed rest, I allowed her to do so. She played for about an hour, and then stopped for a snack. Then she and I played a memory game, on the floor. Then she wanted to play the computer again. I decided to let her.

About half an hour later, Guy woke up from his nap. I let her play a little longer. Then I told her it was time to be done, and we needed to clean up.

I asked if she wanted me to turn on some music, while we cleaned up. She didn't respond, so I turned some on. Then I started to pick up books off the floor. She said "NO!" then came over and pulled a book out of the book case and set it on the floor. It's not like she was even looking at it. It was out and out defiance. Mom is picking up books, so I'm going to pull them out. I'm not sure how to handle that. I told her if she was going to act like that, I wouldn't let her play Kwala. Then she started whining in a baby voice, "I want to play Kwala, I want to play Kwala." It is driving me crazy, and she is being so ornery. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

The Hills said...

go pick up "Parenting with Love and Logic" from the library. Since John and I have finished reading it, the contention level has dropped quite a bit. The suggestions (for the most part) have even worked with Jenna, surprisingly. It talks mostly about giving choices, that are win/win for you, but letting the child pick makes it seem like they are winning too.