tracker

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The development game

I don't know if you play this game or not. I didn't really realize that I do until recently.

How to play is...
  1. Look at a child you care about.
  2. Notice all the amazing things they are doing.
  3. Pick one or more of the following steps and do them:
    1. Praise yourself, or their parents, for having such a great kid.
    2. Brag to others about all the child is achieving.
    3. Try to make sure they have opportunities to show off their new skill.
  4. Notice all the areas that other children in similar age and development areas surpass your child.
  5. Pick one or more of the following steps and do them:
    1. Feel like you are a failure because your child can't do that.
    2. Feel like your child has problems because they can't do that.
    3. Work really hard to remedy the situation by trying to force your child to do something they really aren't ready for.
Isn't it crazy. When I stopped to think about it, I realized what a ridiculous way of parenting it is. Why can't I just sit back and allow my children to be who they are and go at their own pace.
So in my opinion after thinking about it, here is the game I am going to try to play instead.

  1. Look at a child you care about.
  2. Notice what amazing things they are doing.
  3. Praise them for what they can do right.
  4. Give them opportunities to try new things.
  5. Let them pick, and choose what they want to do, within certain limits.
  6. Sit back and let them be who they want to be.

So now I'm curious. How do you parent your children, or look at other children you care about and help them develop new skills? What kind of opportunities do you try to make available?

1 comment:

Hill said...

I'm as guilty as you are. With my first I was much more apt to do the game. With my second, it was slightly less (except when I wanted to prove something). And with my third, I'm just letting him go at his own pace. Of course he is only 2 1/2 months old, but I think I'm gonna let things ride out the way they will.