tracker

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Now I'm convinced.....

So in the 1800's and probably even before that there was a plague known to farmers. Crickets. When the "Mormon Pioneers" were first settled in the Salt Lake Valley, they had their moment of this trial. For them it was just one more trial to deal with after facing horrible persecution as they immigrated West. These people dealt with this trial the only way they knew how, they turned to the Lord. Then a miracle happened. Hundreds of seagulls appeared in the sky and came and started eating the crickets, and continued until they were all gone and the crops were saved.

In my teenage years the congregation that I belonged to put together a skit depicting this event. My mother was in charge of costumes. Maybe not all, but I do remember that she was making seagull and cricket costumes. To make the seagull costumes, if my memory serves me right, she took some white fabric, spray painted the ends gray, and then totally starched them so that they were stiff.

This was the only exposure that I can remember in my lifetime to starch. I am not much of an ironer, something that would most likely apall my grandmother. I'm not sure why I don't iron. I could blame it on the way I was raised, but I don't know that that is the case. My father wears a white shirt to work every morning, and most mornings he irons it. But other than that, I don't remember much ironing going on. I iron when I sew, and that is why I have an iron and ironing board.

And, well I'll admit it. I'm lazy. If I don't have do more work in an area, I won't. If my family members will wear shirts the way they look when they are put on hangers, why take the time to get all the wrinkles out?

Well all of that may have changed this weekend. Last Christmas I made some clothes for my kids. The fabric that I used for Guy's shirt is one that wrinkles, badly anytime that it is washed. I'm not sure what gave me the idea, but I decided to get some starch and try it on his shirt. I have to say I am totally amazed at how well the wrinkles came out when I ironed withe the starch, and how unwrinkled the shirt looked at the end of today. The shirt was covered in food, but didn't have very many wrinkles. I think I am sold. The only trick now is finding the time to iron, without kids skirting around my feet.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures of his nicely pressed shirt, somehow that didn't happen today. Maybe next week.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I used to be the same, but with the starch, I actually like ironing...I'd much rather do that than fold the laundry. Maybe I'm strange...but it's much more enjoyable for me :)