tracker

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Any Suggestions?

I have a problem, but before I ask for advice I need to give a little background.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has a program for children between the ages of 18 months and 12 years. 18 months to 3 years is called nursery and 3 to 12 years is called Primary. Infants under 18 months stay with their parents in the parents meetings.
My husband and I teach a primary class of children who are turning 9 and 10 this year. Cinderella, who is 3 is in Primary. Guy who is only 10 months, is stuck with Mom and Dad.

So the problem: Guy is getting to be a distraction in our primary class during the hour that we try to teach a lesson. He is mobile so he is constantly moving and getting into things, and the kids want to be on the floor playing with him instead of listening to the lesson. I need to figure out what to do with him for at least that hour of church.
Last year I tried asking one of the women from our church to watch him, but we would forget to get him to her, and she has responsibilities that keep her pretty busy, so I feel bad asking her to do it again. The other women that I know well, either also have responsibilities during that time, or children under 18 months themselves.

I tried asking our Relief Society (the organization in our church set up to meet the needs of the women) President if she had any suggestions. She suggested someone who was only able to do it that week, and didn't really want the responsibility every week. Which I can totally understand. She doesn't really know me and she doesn't know my kid, why should she want to watch him for me.
Anyway I am without ideas, so I thought I would turn to this source. Actually I prayed about it and thought I should write a blog on the subject. So I would welcome any suggestions, and if you don't have any suggestions, I would welcome prayers, because I have been so frazzled, and stressed after church every Sunday this year, I'm not sure how much more my nerves can stand.

7 comments:

Hill said...

My suggestion is to alternate between the two of you as to who will teach the class while the other is out with your little guy. You both can be in for sharing/singing time. That is what I've got for you. (althuogh I am sure it is much easier for both of you to be teaching at the same time) My other suggestion: Go ask the bishop for a new calling! j/k

Julie said...

That isn't a bad suggestion, except for a few details I forgot to mention.
According to Church policy my husband can't be in the classroom alone with the kids. He needs either another man in there or me.
The other issue is that our class is enough of a handful that it takes 2 adults in there, one for crowd control and one to teach the lesson.

Stacey said...

I have the same dilemma, but my husband usually can't help out. At least I don't teach every week though. I can just go out into the hall if I have to. I keep saying these next few months might kill me!

Stacey said...

After I made a comment, I thought of a few suggestions. Maybe when your husband is teaching you could ask one of your visiting teachers to help out during that hour. And when you teach, your husband could go out with guy if necessary. That way your visiting teachers would only have to help out once a month.

A few things I try:
1. I save his favorite snacks and bottle, if possible, for that critical hour.
2. I made a rule with the YW that they can play with Austin until we start, then he's with mom. If you made that rule in your class, maybe the kids would learn they can't get on the floor with him unless class hasn't officially begun. He's still a distraction, I know, but maybe it helps.

Good luck! Church is much easier with a newborn!

Rose said...

If you like, I can take him during Sunday School until I deliver my baby! He's not that heavy, so I don't mind toting him around! :) If you need someone to take him during third hour, I can do that too.

Maybe by then, you might be able to find someone else who would be willing to take him. After I have my baby, I'll probably be tied up with her... but there are probably some other people that would probably love to take care of the baby during that time. For example, there is one particular couple that I am aware of who do not have children at this time... I can give you the name the next time I see you! :)

Hope it all works out! Talk with you soon!

Kirsten said...

you might try employing some of the grandparents of the ward. our ward is full of them! they could either be in the classroom as crowd control (and as a calling, if you can get the bishop to help with that), or they can take Guy.
OR, you might consider reshaping the way you teach. If its a situation where they're expected to sit and listen (and with 9/10s that's completely ok), maybe make more of it hands on, group work, etc so that the noise level is a little higher and Guy won't be as much as a distraction. Classroom jobs sometimes help, and one of them could have something to do with Guy, and then they rotate getting some time with him in a more helpful way. Or, ask the Primary Presidency. I know you've already done that, but in our primary (and I'm in our presidency), there always seems to be a prenursery kid wandering around and everyone helps watch all of them. of course, that varies from primary to primary. Hope this gets your ideas flowing!

Julie said...

Thought I'd let you all know that for the moment this problem has been solved. The Relief Society President talked to a sister who was available to watch, and so for at least the last two weeks, we have had someone.
Well we had someone the two weeks before that too, but that was volunteer, which I really appreciated.