tracker

Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Utah Trip: The First Week (or 5 days) There

We arrived at my parents house just before lunch. I then gladly took the rest of the day off. It was nice to visit with family, and let other people have an opportunity to entertain my children. However somewhere beneath conscious thought was the knowledge that I had a bit of sewing that needed to be done in the next few days. A pair of bloomers, an apron, and of course my skirt needed to be hemmed before I could wear it on Sunday.

The next day, Thursday, was the 24th of July, which in Utah is a Holiday. In 1847 the "Mormon Pioneers" first entered the Salt Lake Valley, on the 24th of July. So now the state of Utah celebrates that day. That morning my married brother, and his wife , brought their dogs, Tex and Ellie, over. They were going river rafting with her family for the holiday weekend, and were leaving the dogs at my parents house to be watched while they were gone.

My children haven't had much close exposure to dogs. The only exposure Guy has had, and Cinderella has had recently is when we were visiting my friends Brandi and Adam. Brandi's dog that my children played with is an excitable little dog, that my children chased, and played with. Tex and Ellie, however hadn't had much exposure to children, and were scared of fast moving Cinderella. Guy however just sauntered around at his own little pace, showing little interest in the dogs. The dogs were curious about him, and as a result he received more attention from them than Cinderella did. Which he didn't mind too much, as long as their fronts weren't facing his front. If he faced them head on, he was terrified and turned and would run away.

One thing Cinderella found she could do, that the dogs liked, was feed them. She was introduced to the dogs, by having her feed them each a treat. So she knew that they liked to eat, and would eat from her hand. She was constantly trying to pick up dog food, grass, sticks, anything they would take from her, and trying to feed them.(this picture was actually taken later in the vacation, but I felt like it best showed Cin's relationship with the dogs.)

I don't know if it was Cinderella's feeding them, the fact that the poor dogs had to spend most of their time outside in the Utah heat, when they are house dogs, or some bug, but they got sick their first night. Ellie threw up, and the next morning when he was let out of his bed, Tex had the runs. Thankfully they recovered quickly. We tried to give them more shade, and let them spend more time in doors the next few days.

We spent the day of the 24th, lounging around my parents house. We watched the parade on TV. Played some games, played in the yard, visited, and then had a BBQ that evening. I started feeling guilty about not spending time sewing, but figured it was a holiday, and I could start the next day.

On Friday, I finally started sewing. I got the bloomers almost done, except for the elastic in the waist and in the bottom of the pants. I realized my mother didn't have the right amount of elastic. So that evening my mother and I went to the fabric store to purchase some more elastic. I am not a shopper by nature, but one store I can spend a long time in, with out even noticing it, is a fabric store. My mother is the same way, and my Dad really doesn't like fabric stores, so she doesn't go to them often. So we spent some time walking around looking at all the different fabrics.

One of my sisters is getting ready to go to college. In her purchases she bought some new bedding, that is a sea foam green. And she bought some chocolate brown sheets, and blanket. She told me, that my mother had said the two colors didn't go together. While we were wandering the fabric store, I noticed some fabric that had both of those colors in it. We then had the idea that we could purchase that fabric, and I could make some pillows for her to take to college, that would tie the colors of her bedding together. Her birthday was the next week, and we could give them to her as a birthday gift. We also saw a made up apron that was really cute, and my mother got the idea that we could make a child sized apron for Cinderella, who had been wearing adult sized aprons, while we were at Grandma's house. So we came for elastic, and left with elastic, pillow forms, fabric for pillows, and a book of apron patterns.

After we got back from the fabric store, we put Guy to bed, and went out front to do sparklers. This was Cinderella's first time to do sparklers, and I have to admit, I was quite nervous watching her. I know I really enjoyed as a kid, but with my own kid it is different. I had to bite my tongue a few times.

On Saturday morning, I went and finished making the bloomers, and then spent some time playing puzzles with Cinderella. She really enjoyed the puzzles, especially when I found some that were mine when I was younger, that were designed for little fingers to do.
Saturday evening my youngest sister gave my children a bath. After they were done, I put Guy in his PJ's and then put his robe on him, as is his normal style at home. He then started wandering about the house. Well Tex and Ellie were in the kitchen, and the second that they saw him they were terrified. They started barking like crazy. So I picked him up, and carried him out of the room before they could scare him. I went and waited for Cinderella, and when she was done with her bath, she noticed Guy's robe. She said she wanted a robe too. Grandma then gave her a hooded towel, with Dora the Explorer on it, that she had gotten for Cinderella. By this time I had forgotten about the dogs in the kitchen. We went back out to the living room, and the dogs seeing my hooded children, freaked out again.
My 26 year old brother, took Guy's robe, and put it on his head to show the dogs there was nothing to be scared of.
The dogs were then terrified of him. He succeeded in getting Tex to come to him, but Ellie kept my youngest brother between them. My robe covered brother finally was able to reach her, but she was so scared that she had an accident on the floor. I never knew that a towel and robe could be so scary.

On Sunday we celebrated my youngest brothers birthday. His birthday had actually been a few weeks before, but he wanted to wait until we were there to celebrate. He isn't a fan of most deserts, but one that he likes is strawberry pie with a graham cracker crust. So I made the pies, with quite a bit of help, on Saturday. The kids really enjoyed the pie. YUM.
Guy doesn't have a shirt on, because I didn't want him to get strawberries on his white Sunday shirt.

1 comment:

The Hills said...

Did your sister like her pillowcase? Thanks for the laugh of the robes/towels and dogs.