tracker

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Utah Trip: Family Week: Day 1, Zoo

So on Monday we had plans to go to the zoo in the afternoon. Cinderella woke up that morning, still sick. I was really bummed, because I really wanted to take her to the zoo, and the zoo had been planned largely with my children in mind. I knew she would be really upset if everyone else went and we didn't.
At the same time, Monday was the only day that week with forecasted clear skies. Every other day predicted rain. So I really couldn't ask them to postpone their trip for our sakes. My mother suggested that we wait and see how she was feeling come that afternoon.
T, D, S, P, and L all decided to take the morning and go hike Mount Timpanogas. My husband graciously declined the invitation, because he felt sorry leaving me with a sick kid.
Thankfully by the afternoon, Cinderella's illness had cleared up, so we all headed to the zoo.
Hogle Zoo closes their gates at 5, but keeps the grounds open till 6:30. We showed up around 4, and met the Timpanogas group there.
My dad rented a wheel chair for my mom, so she wouldn't need to walk around all day. We had a lot of fun seeing the animals. Cinderella has loved alligators since she saw "The Happiest Millionaire" so I was excited that this zoo has a large white alligator. (Just kidding about the picture. That isn't a white alligator, nor is is real. It is just on the playground, in case you couldn't tell.)

They also have two baby alligators.
We also saw Elephants, Giraffes, Monkeys (OK so I think the technical term is primates, because it wasn't just monkeys.)

The kids really enjoyed the animals. Guy loved being able to get out of the stroller and see the animals. Although I think he got more excited about the different ball shaped items in various cages, than some of the animals themselves.

However for my children I would say the highlight of the zoo was definitely the Carousel, and at the playground. Cinderella, rode on my mom's lap for a good portion of the zoo. At one point I heard my mother say to her, that she would need to ask her mom. So I turned to see what the question was. She wanted to know if she could ride the Carousel. Well to tell you the truth, I hadn't planned on her ridding it. I had thought we might ride the train, but not the carousel. I suggested the train, and she was quite disappointed. My youngest sister, N said that she had brought some money and would gladly pay for her and Cinderella to ride the Carousel. So we headed over, and I bought a ticket for Guy to ride as well. I figured if he saw Cinderella on there, he would want to be on there too.

The Carousel at the zoo has all kinds of different animals on it that people can ride. Cinderella chose a praying mantis, so N and Guy took the ones on either side. Guy ended up on a bear. At first, I wasn't sure how Guy was going to handle it.


He was chomping at the bit, and not sure he wanted to stay on the bear. Once it started moving though, he was having the time of his life. He loved going around and up and down. Cinderella loved it too. She didn't want get off when the ride was over. She wanted to go again. I had to hand Guy over the railing to his Daddy, and pick her up and carry her kicking and screaming away from the ride.

We decided to go from there to the playground. She loved playing on the playground. And had a great time. As it appears everyone else did. She was able to get her fill at the playground, and was content when we left the zoo.















We then drove to a nearby park, and had a picnic dinner. It was a fun, but long day.

2 comments:

The Hills said...

Those are really fun pictures! Looks like you had lots of fun.

Adam & Brandi said...

How fun. But that was only day 1, so keep them coming.