tracker

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Utah Trip: The Trip There

So we flew to Salt Lake early in the morning on July 23rd. OK so our flight left at 8:20 which isn't that early for us. My kids usually get up between 6:00 and 7:00. But having to be at the airport, which is about a 45 min drive away, at 6:20 in the morning, that was early. We packed up the car with all our luggage, Tuesday night. I had made some home made breakfast bars, so we could eat in the car. We then got the kids up about 5:25, got Cinderella dressed, left Guy in his PJ's. Loaded them in the car, and drove to the airport. Cinderella was totally excited to be going to Grandma's house. Once we got to the airport, Daddy helped us up until we got to the security line. After that point I was on my own.
Because Guy is as light weight as he is, I was able to still strap him into the front carrier, that is designed for infants up to 25 lbs. Then I had a backpack full of books and items for the flight, on my back. In front of me I pushed our double stroller, with Cinderella sitting in the front, and Guy's car seat sitting on the rear seat.
For any of you who don't know, when you fly with that much gear, it can be a little bit of a head ache to get through security. Thankfully this time wasn't too bad. In the past, Cinderella has had a hard time with having to part with everything for the time it takes it to go through the screening and us to go through the metal detector. This time she was my big helper. I did as much as I could with Guy still strapped onto the front of me, then I had to let him down to lift the car seat onto the conveyor belt, and fold the stroller and put it on the belt. I wasn't sure what to do with him to keep him from running off, so I asked Cinderella if she could hold his hand. So she stood there, holding both of Guy's hands in each of hers. It was really cute, I wish I could have got a picture. She held his hands until I was able to pick him up again.
Once we got through security, they kindly took all of my stuff to a spot out of the way of everyone else so we could get put back together again. Then we strolled to our gate. Once we got there we had plenty of time to spare, and I wondered what we would do while we waited. I shouldn't have worried. All I needed to do, was take the kids over by the window.
Guy immediately spotted all the baggage carts down below, and pointed. "Tuck, tuck, vroom, vroom." He cried. He would have been entertained just watching them for hours. Oh and once the airplane showed up, he was just amazed.
We were flying Southwest, and thankfully there was enough empty seats on the flight that I was able to put Guy into one. Getting all of our stuff on the plane was a trick though. Cinderella has a backpack that looks like a dog. The tail is a leash, with a loop for me to put over my wrist. I had her walk in front of me, with Guy in the carrier, the backpack on my back and the car seat above my head, hoping that I wouldn't whack anyone with it. We made it to our seats and got settled without incident.
As we were flying we got a great view of the top of Mt. Rainer. It was really cloudy, and so I thought it looked like a snow covered valley with a little mountain poking out of the top. I liked the view, because of the illusion.
The pictures don't quite do it justice, but they are pretty good for out of an airplane window, with a seat right in front of the wing.

I was very grateful that we were able to use Guy's car seat. He fell asleep not too far into the flight, and slept for the rest of the flight. I've got a pretty good idea that wouldn't have happened if he had been on my lap. Cinderella and I read stories for the remainder of the flight, after Guy conked out. Our flight came in a little early, and we surprised my dad who was waiting for us, even though I waited to be the last off the plane, so as to not be in anyone's way with all my stuff.
We received a great welcome at my parents home when we arrived there. We hadn't been there or seen many of them since Christmas, and it was great to see them again. And to be done with traveling, for a little while.

1 comment:

The Hills said...

Those pictures were great. I love the new look of your blog!