tracker

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My Utah Trip: The Why and Wherefore.

My father had served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in the area where I live, some 30 years ago, and hasn't been back since. My husband and I decided that while we live here, should opportunity arise, we should bring Dad up for a visit, and let him see the area again. This last April, we got the opportunity. I got a "ding" from Southwest Airlines. It was a really good deal (I don't remember how much exactly), so I called up my parents to see if Dad would be interested in coming on such short notice. It was decided he would come, and while I was talking to my mom, she explained to me her current predicament.

Between 1856 and 1860, some members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints were traveling across the western plains to join with other members of the church in the Utah territory. Many of these people were poor immigrants, who couldn't afford a wagon and team to pull it. So they formed handcart companies, and came across the plains pulling, and pushing their handcarts. These people faced many hardships of weather, sickness, lack of food. They had family members die, and suffered many things. It was done all for what they believed. These people sacrificed, so that they could do what they felt and believed the Lord wanted them to do. Many people have reenacted their coming across the plains, and the previous Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Gordan B. Hinkley, requested that all the youth of the church, have the opportunity to participate in a reenactment.

So now every stake, (group of a number of congregations that are in the same general vicinity), organize and go on a trek every few years. The youth between the ages of 14 and 18 get to go.
My mothers predicament was that she and my father had both been asked to be on their stake's committee for trek for this year. They were in charge of publicity, which meant that they would both need to go.

My family has 9 children in it. I am the second child. I have an older sister, who is married, three younger brothers, the middle one is married, and four younger sisters, all single. The youngest of which is 13. Trek was scheduled to be held July 30 through August 2nd. My older sister teaches school, year round, and didn't know what track she would be on yet, and didn't know if she would be in school or be at home during that time. My two single brothers, and the oldest of my younger sisters attend a singles ward (congregation) for single adults between 18 and 30. The singles ward was having a camp out July 31 through August 2. So my mother was left wondering, what to do with my youngest sister, who was too young to go on trek. We contemplated the idea of having her fly here and stay with us for that week.

My family was planning to have a family reunion some time in August, for my parents descendants. So she would come here and stay, and then fly back with us, when we went for the reunion.

I thought about it, and thought she might be nervous about flying by herself, where she hasn't ever flown before. And I thought that another option would be for me to go and take Guy and Cinderella, and then have Daddy come in time for the reunion. My mom felt like that would be the best idea, and so we bought our tickets. And the plan was made to go and visit my family. Flying in on the 23rd of July, and staying until the 11th of August.

No comments: