tracker

Friday, July 17, 2009

No AC

So we have had a hot week. I think every day has been in the 90's. I know it could be hotter, but having recently moved from an area where the average summer temperature is 78 degrees 98 is hot! Thankfully we bought a house with a central air conditioner so I haven't really been feeling it that much.

But last night was hot. We got home from the library, and I was just sweating. I kept wondering why it was so hot in here. Then when I was putting the kids to bed, I was standing over one of the vents, and realized that the air blowing through wasn't that cold. I then checked the thermostat and it told me it was 83 degrees in the house, and I had it set to be 77.

So I told my husband that I thought we had a problem with the AC. He went out and looked, and sure enough our unit wasn't running. Just the fan in the house. We checked the circuit breakers, and they seemed to be fine.

So this morning I called my dad to see what he would advise us to do. He suggested we call someone to come take a look at it. He recommended a company, and I called later this morning. Thankfully they were able to have someone come and take a look at it today.

I learned something, I hadn't known before. When you have central air, how clean your furnace filter is, affects how well your AC works. Ours hadn't been changed since we moved in, and it was dirty then. I don't know if that is what caused the problem though. He said it could make the AC unit work harder, so it could have made the part that was broken wear out earlier. Anyway it turned out to be a broken connector. Which cost me about $80 to replace. Thankfully it wasn't something worse.

Isn't it amazing that a convenience like AC can become a necessity if we let it?

No comments: