tracker

Friday, May 30, 2008

Tupperware

When I was little, I had 4 great grandparents. My family would occasionally go for a really long drive (at least that is what it seemed like to a young child, in reality it was about 2 hours) and end up at one of my great grandparents homes. They lived in neighboring towns so a visit to one, meant a visit to the other. I don't know how many times I actually visited them, because I can only distinguish a couple, but even then I'm not sure it isn't many memories rolled into a few.

My mothers paternal grandmother was a very giving woman. Every summer we would have a family reunion, and she would be sitting there, making a quilt, hand quilted, that would be going to who ever was the next great grandchild to be born.
When ever we visited her home, we always left with more than we came with. I remember her giving us coloring books one time, but her trademark was Tupperware. She sold Tupperware. But she also gave a lot away.

My mothers and grandmothers cupboards were always filled with Tupperware, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had received most of it as gifts from my Great Grandma. So as I grew up, Tupperware was a part of my life.

I remember baby-sitting at people's homes, and as I would go to give their children a drink, open the cupboard and find it filled with glass cups. I would think to my self, "what do they give their children to drink out of?" Giving them a glass cup was just unthinkable.

One summer, while in college, I was at a city celebration at a park. They had booths set up, and I had decided to wander around, while waiting for the fireworks to start. It just so happened that I came across a Tupperware booth. This booth was being run by an old family friend, whom I hadn't seen in years. I stopped to chat, and then filled out a slip for her drawing for free Tupperware. One of the questions on this paper asked if I was interested in selling Tupperware, and thanks to all of my memories of the product, I checked the box.

Well it didn't take too long for me to get started in selling. Tupperware is a nice product to sell, because it sells its self. I didn't really put a whole lot of effort into my sales, and parties. I simply would do a party for someone if they asked. I was single, with not many time constraints, and so I simply complied to what demand was there. I decided at the time to turn my revenue into dishes for myself, and so I started stockpiling my collection.

I later put aside my selling Tupperware, to focus more on educational pursuits, but kept my stockpile for that day, somewhere in the future, when I would have my own home, and need my dishes.

Well that day is here now, and let me tell you. My cupboards are full, and so are 3 large rubbermaid tubs. Every time my husband would talk about dejunking my mind would go to my Tupperware. "But that is some expensive stuff, and I just might use it sometime. I can't get rid of it." I would think. Well lately I have been cleaning out my cupboards to try to make room to store our food storage. I pulled out all of my tubs, to see if I could make room for more dishes in them. And I realized, I have enough storage dishes to suit a family almost 3 times as big as mine. Tupperware is great, and it has a life time guarantee. I just have to call their customer service, and I can get any broken piece replaced for only the charge of shipping. So it makes me wonder, why I ever thought I might need 4 bowl sets, 20 cups, 3 strainers (one of which is huge), plus a lot of other stuff. Anyway, I guess this is a long rambling way to say, that just because it is awesome and you get a good deal, you don't need to buy it.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I have a neighbor who used to sell tupperware, who is the same way. She has one whole walk in closet in her house (there is just her and her husband) clear full of the stuff. She has had it for years, and has finally decided to sell/give it away so that she can pursue other avenues. So don't feel bad, you aren't the only one who thinks its good stuff to stockpile. ;)