tracker

Friday, January 21, 2011

Healthy, Easy, Quick meals to make. Is there such a thing?

So I'll admit it, I like to cook, but especially when I have a baby, I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  Because I don't have a lot of time to spend there.
Lately one of my biggest frustrations with food has been lunch time.  Because Cinderella is in half day kindergarten, we go pick her up, and then have lunch.  But because Buddy is only a month old he still eats every 2-3 hours during the day, which means he often wants his lunch at the same time the other kids get their lunch.  So I try to get lunch ready before we pick up Cinderella, but that isn't always possible.  Then we pick up Cinderella, come home, I get the older kids eating, feed Buddy, and then clean up their lunch, and then I feel like I can eat.  But unfortunately lately that hasn't been until 1:30 or 2 which is later than I want to be eating.

My normal tendency for lunches is to make Peanut Butter and Jelly, because it is quick and easy.  But 1.  Cinderella doesn't like peanut butter.  2.  Really that isn't the healthiest alternative and 3.  It gets old rather quickly.

So I've been working with things that I can make ahead of time, but they are time consuming, and I feel like I never get out of the kitchen.  Or I don't have a chance to make them before and then I have Buddy have to wait while I make their lunch.

So I'm asking for suggestions of things that aren't too hard or time consuming to make, that kids like, and that are healthy.  Let me know if you have any.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I like to add chicken or hamburger and some veggies to macaroni and cheese.

LaShaunna said...

we like quesadillas, they're quick and easy. You can even add a little chicken. Give them some apple slices or some veggie sticks and you got a healthy meal. I have to confess that lunches are hard for us too. We do a lot of PB&J or leftovers.

Justin & Denice said...

something fast I like to do for lunch or dinner is pizza on a flat pita. You can put whatever on the pita and heat them in the oven for a couple minutes until the cheese is melted.

Rose said...

Are you looking for quick and easy lunches? Or dinners? Because my kids don't get sick of peanut butter and jelly. :) I'd have to think about the lunch thing. Dinner is a bit more easier to come up with.

Anonymous said...

I love simple meals! My favorite at the moment is a chicken/rice dish. You use 2 cups cooked rice (any kind you prefer), 3-4 shredded or chopped, cooked chicken breasts, and some shredded cheese (any kind you prefer). Spray a 13x9 pan, put the rice, 2/3 of the chicken, and 1/2 the cheese in the pan (mixed together). Put the remaining chicken and cheese on top. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. =) Hope you like it!