tracker

Monday, April 7, 2008

Sewing machine

So lately I have been thinking of replacing my sewing machine. It is a machine that has a strait stitch and a zig zag. It also came equipped with only the basic foot. The feed dogs don't lower, it just has a plate that you can fit on top of them, if you aren't wanting to use them. Personally it isn't my favorite machine, and I didn't know much when I bought it or I would have selected a different model. I think it would work well for basic non-clothing sewing, but for sewing that requires buttonholes, and zippers it is inadequate.
So I have some questions for all of you. I know that many people who read this blog sew and have their own machines.
  • What type of machine do you have? Brand and model.
  • How long have you had it?
  • Do you like it?
  • Would you recommend it to someone else?
  • Do you use it much?
  • What qualms do you have with it?
  • If you purchased it, about what price did you pay for it?
  • Do you feel like it was or is worth the price you paid?
  • Do you have any recommendations on what would be a good machine, even if it is different than one you own?
Thanks. I feel like personal opinion can be a big key into getting a god product. Especially if it is something I am going to spend a lot of money on.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

I have a Singer model 5050. It has 32 stitches, and cost me about $125 online from Wal Mart. I've sewn about 4 dresses on it and various quilts... I really like it for now. It does zippers and button holes and it's easy to thread, and it doesn't get caught. I've had it for 4 years and I've never had a problem with it. I think you should easily be able to find something that works for you in this price range. I think it came with like 7 foots. (I'm Kirsten's friend)

Hill said...

I went to Sears and for $175 or so I got a Kenmore (I don't know what model). It has regular and stretch stitches (24 of them). It came with 7 or 8 feet and it does the zipper thing and the button hole thing. However, the button hole setting is weird and I've only gotten it to work twice and that's okay because I don't like doing them anyway. It works for what I need it for, simple projects and things. I like it well enough and I will use it until it breaks or John decides I'm sewing enough to buy me a new one (that will take awhile because it's tough to sew with little kids in the way). Personally I like my Bernina Serger better, mostly because I finally learned how to use it correctly and it was free (thanks to my mother-in-law who had given up on it because she hated threading it). I say overall, just get what you think you will use, at a price you can afford.