tracker

Monday, April 7, 2008

Easter Dress


So I decided I didn't have enough time this year to make an Easter dress for Cinderella, so we bought one instead. Now I wish I had just made the time to make one.
Cinderella wore the dress 3 times. Yesterday was the third time. She was running around, and I saw a thread hanging down, so I had her stop, and I went to see what the thread was.

I don't know if you can tell from the picture or not, but her dress is made of gauzy material, and it had started fraying out of the seam on the sash.
I looked at it and figured I would see if I could replace the sash with a ribbon or something. But upon closer inspection, I found that it wasn't just fraying on the sash. The sash was fraying out at the side seams, and the other side, the front piece of fabric was fraying out of the side seam, as well as the shoulder seam. I tried to get pictures of these, but it was too close of detail to get one in focus.
I will admit that Cinderella can be a bit rambunctious, but falling apart after only 3 times. I think that is a bit ridiculous.

So now I'm going to try to make her a new dress to replace that one, because she needs a warmer weather dress in her wardrobe. But before I can do that I need to get a new sewing machine, so that making it isn't as much of a production.
So the lesson I learned from this, unless for some reason I really can't make it for my kids, I should make as much as possible, because then I know it is good quality and won't fall apart.

It's just too bad, because she really loved that dress, and looked really cute in it.

7 comments:

The Osborne Family said...

You should return it. Just tell em it started falling apart after 3 times and they shouldn't give you any trouble, assuming you have the receipt.

Kirsten said...

I have a brother brand machine. (xl3030) it's really not bad, though threads can get tangled more easily than I would like.
By the way, I commented on your "keeping Cinderella occupied during quiet time" post on my blog.

Hill said...

Take the dress back...Even for a three year old wear and tear should be longer than three wears. FYI-when making something, try not to use transparent thread...it's a killer!

Rose said...

That stinks! She looked really cute in that dress.

Julie said...

I totally would take the dress back. Unfortunately I don't still have the receipt. I recently cleaned out all my old receipts, and got rid of anything that didn't have a really big purchase, or would be on our next statements. So I think I am probably stuck with it.
Plus it is possible that I didn't follow the laundering instructions to the T. It said gentle cycle. I just threw it in with my regular wash. Whoops!

Rose said...

Most stores will accept returns of merchandise without a receipt... they'll just give you store credit.

Kirsten said...

we went to utah (together) last week. i'll do a post, but for now, a great time was had by all and no major catastrophe included!