tracker

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Cousins


My sister and her son came and visited us for a week. He is the only cousin my children have, and he is about 7 months younger than Guy.

It was very interesting to have them here. I greatly enjoyed their visit. Cinderella really enjoyed getting to know her cousin. Guy had a little bit harder time.
Guy would get quite possessive, of his toys, his mommy, and sometimes even his cousins things.

The most interesting part for me, was when Guy tried to sit on his cousin. This actually happened a few times. The last time, my sister and I were in the kitchen, and the kids were out of sight on the other side of the couch. I started being curious as to what was going on, so I asked Cinderella. I don't remember her response, but it left something to be desired. So I decided to look.
I come around the couch, and find Guy sitting as close to his cousin, as he possibly could, without actually being on him, bouncing up and down gleefully with a big grin on his face.
You might wonder why I get such a kick out of this activity. To explain that I need to take you back about 27 years.

At this point in time my older sister (the one who just visited), and I were the only children in our family. One day I was lying on a bean bag chair I think (OK so I was only a few months old, and so I have just heard the story and seen the pictures, so I could be off in my details). My mom had gone out of the room for a moment, but returned quickly to the sound of me crying. When she came back in the room, all she could see was my sister sitting in a beanbag chair, but no Julie anywhere. You guessed it, she was sitting on me.

So, not that I condone my son's actions. But it is interesting to see him attempting to sit on the child, whose mother sat on me.

It was also really interesting to try to work around 2 babies nap schedules, with the possibility of a toddler taking a nap in there some time too. Needless to say, we didn't get out a whole lot. In a way it is too bad, that it took until her second to last day visiting for us to figure out we could go for a long drive, and let the kids sleep in the car.


I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to have her visit, and to have my children have a chance to get better acquainted with their only cousin. It is hard living as far away from family as we do, but I think it makes me appreciate the time that I can spend with them all the more.

No comments: