tracker

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Garden Spaghetti

So my kids are picky eaters. Cinderella won't eat anything that looks like a vegetable, except corn on the cob. She does like things that are made out of veggies as long as they don't look like veggies. Like spaghetti.

So, we have had a bunch of yellow squash in our garden this summer. In trying to figure out a way to use it, I decided to make my own spaghetti sauce.

I cut up a yellow squash, an orange bell, 3 large tomatoes, and put them in a pot with a can of diced tomatoes with the juice, and a couple cans of tomato sauce. I then simmered them stirring occasionally, to keep them from burning. Once everything was soft I put it all in the blender and pureed it. You couldn't see any of the veggies, but my sauce was really thin so I added a can of tomato paste, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. It made a really yummy sauce, and my kids ate it up. Yum.

So how do you hide veggies to get your kids to eat them? Or do your kids like veggies?

3 comments:

Rose said...

Hehehe, I hide veggies ALL THE TIME! :) One of my favorite veggie hiding tricks, it putting pureed sweet potatos and carrots into French Toast batter (also add a tablespoon of maple syrup to the batter). It gives it a nice golden color and a hint of sweetness. The kids would never know they were there!


Also, if you can get your kids to eat guacomole, you can hide pureed peas, broccoli, and spinach in it.

Kirsten said...

the sneaky chef by missy chase levine. brilliant.

The Hills said...

I am truely blessed. My kids beg me for veggies, almost all different kinds. If I am cutting up tomatoes, bell peppers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, even squash and zucchini, they beg for me to give them some, even before they are cooked! I love it. Most of the time anyway. Now if I could only get them to eat carrots...