tracker

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Baby Story

So some people have asked me to tell my story of Sleeping Beauty entering the world. Sorry I haven't shared it before. For me it seems so basic, that I didn't think to share it.

With this pregnancy, I had contractions off and on at varying degrees of strength starting back in February, when I was working on packing to move. They kept coming, off and on, so I never really knew what to expect on timing.

On the night of the 29th of April, I was having some contractions. They weren't really strong, but Sleeping Beauty was pulling the stunt of whenever a contraction would hit, she would push her head against the cervix. That part was kind of painful. My husband noticed me grimacing, and asked what the baby was telling me. I said that she wanted out.

Well that night I was having contractions on and off all night long. They weren't really strong, and they didn't really come any closer together than an hour or so apart. Well at about 3:30 or so, I woke up from my not so deep sleep, as I felt a little bit wetter than I had before. My water had broken with Cinderella, and that time it was a BIG gush. This time, I figured my water had broke, but I wasn't sure. I went to the bathroom, and yes my pants were wet, but I wasn't flowing anymore, so I wasn't sure.

I called out to my husband and told him that I thought my water had broke. So he got up, and then I called my mom, told her so she could come and be with the kids. She had a 45 min. drive, so I figured she would be about an hour. I wasn't having any contractions at the moment, so I figured I would be OK to wait, and then I wouldn't need to call anyone else for help, in the early morning.

After I called Mom, my husband offered to fix me some breakfast. I know you are technically not supposed to eat before having a baby, but I knew it could be a while, and I didn't want to be really hungry. I sat down on the bed to wait, and then Guy woke up. I sat there and talked to him for a minute, and then stood up. The second I stood up there was no doubt in my mind that my water had broken.

About this time the contractions kicked it up a notch, and I became quite glad my mom was on her way.

As soon as my mom got to our house, we left for the hospital. There they confirmed what I already knew. My water had broke. Then they put me in a labor and delivery room. I honestly don't know what time it was by this point, but I lay on the bed and dealt with contractions, while my husband read a book to me. The doctor decided to give me a little bit of pitocin to speed things up. From this point on, the contractions started getting stronger and more regular.

The nurse told me I could have the epidural as soon as I wanted one. So when the contractions started getting quite strong, I asked for one. They were still weak enough, I wasn't having too rough of a time, but I wanted it to kick in before they got much stronger. It ended up being really nice timing, because I didn't feel anything that was really bad, and by the time the contractions were strong enough for baby to come, I could feel just enough to tell they were there, and to feel the pressure to know when to push.

My husband went to get lunch right before I got to that point however. The nurse had come in, and checked me. I was at a 9, and she told me to let her know when I was feeling the pressure, to push. My husband then left to get some lunch from the cafeteria. He was just going to get it and come back up to eat. No sooner had he walked out the door, than a contraction with a lot of pressure hit. I paged the nurse and let her know. She said she would let the Dr. know. I was really hoping and praying my husband would get back in time. The nurse then started bringing in all kinds of equipment for the delivery. When my hubby walked back in the room, he was quite surprised to see the changes that had taken place. The Dr. walked it a minute or two later, and I was ready to push. After pushing through about 3 1/2 contractions, Sleeping Beauty entered the world.

It was a really easy delivery. I can't complain. And the recovery has been really smooth too. So there you have it. The story of how Sleeping Beauty was born.

2 comments:

Adam & Brandi said...

Thank you for sharing this precious experience. I hope that mine goes this smooth. Sounds like you were a pro at it. Congratulations again on Sleeping Beauty!

angelalois said...

thanks for sharing!!! don't forget to put it in Sleeping Beauty's baby book.