tracker

Sunday, July 20, 2008

My new toy



OK so it isn't really new. I got it Mothers Day weekend, but I have finally successfully used it. It is my sewing machine. After Cinderellas Easter dress, I decided to do something that I have wanted to do ever since I first tried sewing on the machine I had. Get rid of it, and get a better one.
After some research, I decided on a Baby Lock. My mom has a Baby Lock, and I have enjoyed using hers. The only catch was that I didn't want to spend that much on a machine. I called our local retailer, and was told that they don't sell the machine I was thinking of in their store, because it is the one they sell to schools. But she recommended that I come in and take a look at the machine that most people are interested in. The Crafters Choice. So after some more research, I decided it was worth paying more to get more features, because personally I don't want to get another sewing machine for at least the next 10-15 years. So I wanted something that would last and I could grow with.
Well we went to the store, I had to wait until a Saturday, because I wanted to try out the machine before buying it, and I wasn't going to try sewing in a sewing machine store with my two kids there, and no husband. Anyway, we got to the store on a Saturday afternoon. As soon as I walked in the owner of the store asked me what I wanted. I told him I wanted to take a look at the Crafter's Choice. He told me he couldn't. They had just sold the last one.
He then showed me the store model of the next machine up. The Decorators Choice. . This machine had more decorative stitches than I thought I would ever use. Plus a lot of silly functions for some one who is just going to make children's clothes. At least that was my first impression. And then I saw the price. $799.99 This was half the suggested retail price, but still $200 more than the Crafter's Choice, and $300 more than the machine that I thought I really wanted, which he claimed he wouldn't sale me, because it is the machine they only sale to schools. Well I was pretty frustrated. And he must have seen my frustration, because he told me this was the last one of this machine that he had in stock and he would sell me that machine, the floor model, for $650. I'm still thinking there is no way that my husband will go for that, when he pipes up that, he thinks that is a great deal, and I should look at it and see if if it would work for me.
So I tried it out. Wow, that is a really nice machine. So I gave them my old machine, and bought their floor model. I have been dying to try it out ever since.
I bought some fabric to make a skirt and top for me, and a dress for Cinderella. I have been trying to make my skirt, and finally got it mostly done, and decided to turn my efforts to Cinderella's dress.
Yesterday morning at 8, I started cutting out her dress, and then with a few long breaks in between, finished it by 11:30 last night. Which for me, having very little practice of late, is really good. Even for a child's size dress. And I'm sure a big part of it is in thanks to my new machine.
So yes even $650 is a lot to pay for a sewing machine, but if you like it, I guess it is worth it.

6 comments:

Kim said...

Very cute, I'll have to get some pointers from you sometime on how to do clothes (that is new territory for me). I agree though, a good machine-even if it is expensive-is well worth it. I have a Bernette (Bernina school model) and absolutely love it.

The Hills said...

The question is, does Cinderella like her new dress?
Your husband actually let you pay that much for a sewing machine? If so, I'll have your husband talk to mine when I decide that I need a new machine.
Side note - we miss you!

Jenni said...

That is the cutest dress... I have a machine, that I don't use. :S But I'd love to be able to make cute clothes for my kiddo's. I could use some tips too... :)

Julie said...

Cinderella LOVES her new dress. She told me yesterday that it is the only dress she wants to wear. Becca we miss you to. Kim, I used a Bernette when I was in college. I enjoyed using it, and would have bought one of the schools surplussed machines, if I hadn't just wasted my money on something that I am hesitant to even call a sewing machine. :) They are good machines, but they don't make them anymore :(
It is worth it to be able to make cute clothes, it just is hard to find the time that I can sew, with out having to worry about the kids getting hurt or in the way.

Adam & Brandi said...

Very impressed! Very jealous! Very HAPPY FOR YOU!

Amber said...

very cut dress. i love it