tracker

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

An idea

Imagine something happened that hampered your ability to leave your home, or buy food. Loss of job, natural disaster, health issues, etc. What do you do? How do you make sure your family has enough to eat?
The leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints have given the council to the members of that church to have a rotating 3 month supply of food, plus a non-rotating 1 year supply.

My family has been working to build up our storage, but one of the complication I have been having is variety. We have some meals we eat regularly that we could make completely or almost completely out of non-perishable food, but I'd like to have more. And I'm guessing I'm not alone.

So I had an idea. What if we start a blog. A team blog. Anyone can contribute that is interested. Those who contribute can list recipes for meals, deserts, etc. that are made mostly or completely out of non-perishable items, or items that you include in your food storage. Or you could even contribute recipes you use when building your food storage, IE a salsa recipe you make every year and can. You can contribute one time with one recipe, or many times with many recipes what ever floats your boat.

So I need to know who would be interested in doing a blog like this. Or if anyone knows of a blog that already does this, that is accepting new contributors that would work to. I can create a blog if everyone wants and then you can contribute at your leisure. So what do you think?

5 comments:

The Hills said...

We are currently working on one... I'll let you know more about it in an email.

angelalois said...

ooh keep me posted on what becomes. sounds like a good resource.

Courtney said...

Hey Julie! It's Courtney from the good ole' Annandale ward. My college roommate has a blog about food storage. She is always looking for new ideas of things to do.

http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/

Grossarths said...

Hey, I love this idea! Let me know if you create a blog or if you find a good blog/website.

Kirsten said...

count me in.
also, one of my husband's aunts sent me a link to a blog about food storage...if i don't email it to you soon, email me and remind me again!