tracker

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Saag Paneer

My husband is very interested in learning how to make lots of different kinds of foods.  One of his current favorites is Indian food.  One dish that he has made, and that we have had at some Indian restuants that we have tried is saag paneer

It is a spinach curry, with paneer, an Indian cheese.  He has tried making this a few times but hasn't been satisfied with the results.

Last week for dinner I made a lentil spinach soup.  It called for 6 1/2 cups fresh spinach.  However fresh spinach isn't in season right now, and what I could find at the grocery store was expensive and very sad looking.  I couldn't bring myself to buy it.  So I bought frozen spinach.  Well when spinach is frozen it becomes more compact, so I knew I needed to put in less frozen spinach than I would fresh.  So I put in about 3 cups.  Well that was still too much.  The soup has you remove half of it and put it in a blender, after doing this what I ended up with looked a lot like saag paneer, without the paneer (so I guess that would just be saag).
Well that was Guy's opinion too.  As soon as I set it on the table he looked at it, and said, "That's like Saag Paneer."
To serve it, the recipe recommend garnishing with plain Greek yogurt, which did make it taste a lot like Saag Paneer.  In fact my husband said it was very close to the flavor he has been trying to achieve.

No comments: