tracker

Friday, November 21, 2008

Oh, the things we do for our kids.

I have a fear of heights. I really don't like things that are tall. Once when we were visiting Washington DC we had taken the metro into town. We were meeting my husbands sister, and her husband. They had given us directions on how to get to their hotel, from the metro. And part of these instructions included the escalator. Now I'm not sure how tall this escalator is, and my fear might have made it seem bigger than it was, but I would say that thing was 4 or 5 stories at least. It was huge. And it was shaky, and I was holding a squirming toddler in my arms, terrified that I would fall backward down this huge stairway. Anyway, we survived, and it wasn't really that big of a deal. But it was a scary experience none the less, and from that point on when ever we took the metro, I made sure we used the elevators, when our stop was underground. Having a stroller, worked in my favor this way.

Well in the area we now live their is a business, that is filled with large inflatable toys. You know the kind you see at fairs, and carnivals. Well today I took my kids there for the second time. One of the things they have is a giant slide. It is probably 15-20 tall. Once again this could be exaggerated because of my fear. But if you have ever seen the giant blowup slides you know what I am talking about. Well this was one of my children's favorites. And Guy is still too little to climb up on his own, which means Mama has to come too.

Now the climb up is a steep one. Made steeper, by the fact that each step you take pushes down a little because it is just filled with air. Each time I would climb I would feel like I was about to fall backward, and it didn't help that I was trying to carry Guy at the same time. But we did it! And every time we would get to the top, Guy would say "reay (ready) et (set) doe (go)" and we would head down the slide. As soon as we would get to the bottom, he would scoot all the way off, and run back to the area where you climb up. We probably went down that thing somewhere between 10-20 times. But it was fun.

I'm glad I have my kids to talk me into doing things that I would never have any desire to do on my own. It helps me to get more enjoyment out of life.

2 comments:

Kim said...

You are so good to even be attempting jump planet right now. I absolutely won't do it while I'm pregnant. It kills me too much to try and climb those things while carrying a kid.

Kirsten said...

way to go!