tracker

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cars, Trains, Boats, and Planes

Plus any other kind of vehicle you can imagine. This has become a major focus in my life lately, and all because of one little boy.
I don't know if all little boys are this way. My brothers are too close in age for me to remember what they were like when they were little. But this kid loves things that go.

I also used to wonder, before becoming a parent of both genders, if part of gender differences in young children come from parent expectations, and what toys parents give the kids to play with. Well that might be part of it, but not entirely. At least in our case.

Guy loves the Little People bus and plane, which belong to Cinderella. He also loves the Little People digger, which belongs to him. He takes the three of them all over the house. He drives them along the floor, along the window sills, along me, along the couch, and if he can get away with it, along the table. He also likes to fill the plane and bus with other various vehicle type toys. A bike, smaller cars, etc. We don't really have a lot of vehicle toys, but those that we do have, are usually being played with by Guy.

One of Guy's favorite things to do, is to look out the windows of our apartment that face our parking lot, and point to all of the cars, and say "ar" (car), or "tru" (truck) and sometimes even "bu" (bus). When we are out walking or driving down the road his dialog is usually the same.

I never knew the difference between different types of tractors. And to tell you the truth, I never really cared. Well now I am learning. We have found library board books all about different tractors. (Those have been some of his favorites). By name right now I can only identify a standard tractor, and a digger. But I've heard the names of many more, and am sure I will know them before too much longer.

It is definitely fun to have a kid whose interests are so different from what mine have ever been. It is a great opportunity to learn more about what is out there.

3 comments:

The Osborne Family said...

That's TOTALLY a boy thing! Benjamin was OBSESSED with trains for almost 3 years. He had trains, tracks, clothes, blankets, movies, etc. When he learned how to draw, the finished product was almost always a train. Christopher is almost 2 and (so far!) plays with just about anything. I wonder if he'll start obsessing soon.

Ruthann said...

It is definitely a little boy thing. My son does the same thing. I actually rotated my toys so each week they get something different when the cars come out we hardly see my son because he is playing with them all of the time. He hides them around the house so that he can keep playing with them until new cars come out. For Christmas we are getting him cars, cars, and more cars.

Kirsten said...

that sounds just like dalton: he'll drive his cars on the windowsill, couch...even before he had cars he'd drive his duplo blocks around. my kids have all the same toys and they're all fair game: whoever said boys and girls come just the same did not have children!