tracker

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Preschool Letter B

A couple of mom's from my ward (church congregation) decided to do a mom run preschool co-op this year. They invited me to join them. There are three of us involved in this co-op, and we all have girls who are close in age. I get to teach every 3 weeks, and today was my first time.

I was so nervous. I wasn't sure if I would have enough things to keep the girls busy for the required amount of time, or if I was being to structured. I didn't sleep very well last night, and I'm guessing it was because of nerves. Well it turned out great. Hopefully that means I don't need to stress so much next time.

I was assigned to teach about the letter B and the number 2. I focused most of my attention on the letter, and because of attention spans didn't even get to the number, but I think that is probably OK.

We started off reviewing what they had learned last week. About the letter A and the sound it makes. Then I showed them our letter for the day and asked if they knew what it was. They responded that it was a B, I asked if they knew what sound it makes. One of the girls knew right off. We then talked a little about the sound it makes. Then I had the girls trace the letter, while I read them a book about B sounds.

When they started to loose interest in coloring and tracing we had our snack. Bananas and Blueberry Bagels.

After that the girls were anxious to start playtime. Part of preschool is about 1 hr of free play. But I knew if they started it too soon, I would have a hard time getting them back into structure. So we did our activity. I blew up a balloon for each kid, including Guy. They then ran around the living room playing with their balloons. I could tell they were all loving it.
While they played I measured a piece of plastic cording on each girl to determine the right length to make necklaces. Then I had them come back to the table and let them string beads on their cording. They were having a lot of fun, and talked about making bracelets when they were done. I wasn't sure if we would have enough beads for that, or if their attention would hold that long. Well the attention didn't hold, so they just made necklaces.

Then they went and played dress ups, even Guy got in on the act. Guy handled the whole thing pretty well. He started wanting more of mommy towards the end, so I let the girls keep playing in the playroom, while Guy and I went and sat in the living room and looked at books for about 5 min. Then it was time to clean up. We cleaned up all the toys, and then we all went and read one more B book while we waited for the girls moms to come. I have to say all in all, it turned out pretty well.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I wish we were there to do preschool with you, I'm afraid I'd chicken out just cuz I wouldn't be confident teaching several little kids. You had fun activities though! How are you feeling? Better I hope!

Kirsten said...

good for you! i need more ideas of activities for learning letters, i'm starting to run out. today we tried to make a collage of things for the letter E (we collect things around the house, take a picture, so i can put it together into a book), but all i could come up with was eggs and a pair of socks i have with elephants on them! kind of lame!
so question: where did you get your kid's dress up clothes? that's what i want to do for christmas for mine this year (and this is the first year we're 'doing' halloween, so i'm looking for stuff for that, too)

Adam & Brandi said...

You never sieze to amaze me! What a terrific idea. I think that is so nice that you ladies do that. Oh and thank you SO MUCH for the comment you left for Bri. Words can't express my gratitude.

angelalois said...

I am totally impressed. What a great idea and you're a great teacher. My favorite part: the treats started with a B. Creative!!