tracker

Thursday, June 17, 2010

We have a mouse

At least one.  There might be more.

A few weeks ago my husband and I  were in the kitchen getting dinner ready.  I have some 5 gallon buckets that I keep flour, sugar, wheat, powdered milk, and rice in on the floor of my pantry.  I had pulled out a bucket or two that day for some reason, and as I pushed it back in I noticed what looked like some grains of wild rice, or rodent dung.  I pointed it out to my husband and asked him what he thought it looked like.  His response was also rodent dung.    We figured that if there was a rodent problem we would see more signs, and we cleaned it up like it was rodent dung. Then I noticed what looked like some other types of rice grains on the floor.  We had had wild rice a few days earlier, and I just wrote it off as being rice. 

Also lately our refrigerator has started making this really annoying squeaking sound.  One day I had what I thought was a joke run through my mind.  I wanted to tell my husband that I had found the mouse that had left it's droppings in the pantry.  It is hiding behind the refrigerator and that is what is making the sound.  Well I never told him, and promptly forgot.

Until last night.  My husband and I were sitting in the living room talking while we were waiting for the kids to settle down so we could go to bed.  My husband was facing the stairs, and suddenly his eyes got big.  I was thinking it was something to do with the kids, but then he turned to me and said, "we have a mouse."  I was still confused, and thinking of the kids.  I think I asked him something about which kid he was talking about, when he said, "I just saw a little black thing come down the stairs and under the fridge."

Yuck!  So he pulled out the fridge and found a ton of mouse droppings.  But of course no mouse. 

Today I decided to really clean the kitchen floor and get rid of any food remnants I could find.  I started pulling stuff out of the pantry, and found a ton of droppings in there too.  So now we have to set traps, and keep our kids out of them, and try to keep them from coming back.  I hope there is just one.  But there might be more.

2 comments:

Rose said...

Eek! Make sure that if you're the one cleaning it up (you being pregnant) that you are wearing a mask and gloves! Well, even if your hubby cleans it up... he should probably use those things too. I hope you get rid of it!

The Osborne Family said...

Ew, ew, ew, ew,EEEWWWWWWWWW!!!! We had that problem a couple times when we live din VA. They like peanut butter. Andrew would put a little bit on the good, old-fashioned snap traps and put them behind the fridge and stove, on top of the counter, and in the cupboards they would most likely visit. It's pretty effective.