tracker

Friday, January 4, 2008

Who really knows?

So Cinderella is now 3 and Guy Smiley is 9 months old. So this means it is time for a well child check up. I decided to save some time and do both kids at the same time. It worked quite well.
So I started asking the Doctor the questions that I had.
First I asked him "So babies aren't supposed to have milk products before they are a year old right?" (This questions was comming from information that I got from WIC when Cinderella was a baby.) The Doc looked at me as if I had just sprung a second head. "Where did you hear that? Of course they can have milk products, baby formula is cow's milk. Yogurt is one of the protein foods we most recommend. You can give him soft cheeses like Macaroni and cheese you just don't want him to choke."
OK so I know that different Doctors have different opinions but have they changed their mind that much in the last 2- 2 1/2 years?
When we lived in Virginia, Cin came down with a bad case of hives one day. I remember taking her into the doctor, I think it was for something else, and while I was there asking about the hives. This doctor asked me if she had any new foods recently; citrus, eggs, nuts, etc. I told her no, but realized later that we had grapefruit juice. So we decided that Cin was possibly allergic to grapefruit. The hives stuck around for 2-3 weeks so we didn't want to try it again and find out. So yesterday I asked our current doctor about it, and if he would recommend trying her on it again. He told me that hives are usually not related to food allergies. And then told me how to do a skin test, to see if it is an allergy.
So how do you know what is correct medically, when each doctor has their own opinion and what they tell you is very much flavored because of their opinion? Are there really answers out there? Or is it all just educated guessing?

3 comments:

Rose said...

I've never heard of anything against milk PRODUCTS before a year old... milk products are fine...

Although, I have heard not to give milk to children under a year old... gives them bad stomach problems or something... I don't remember why, but it was something my dietician told me.

Kirsten said...

hmmm...i think a lot of it has to do with rexburg wic. seems i heard some crazy things there, too. once (on an only somewhat related issue), when i was weaning my baby, they asked what i was putting in her bottles. i told them "just formula, but i put it in her sippy cup". they looked at me as if i had horns growing out of my head and asked, "why?" because she was already using a sippy cup before i weaned her, and it seemed counterproductive to go back to a bottle, that's why!
ps--cin says corporation?! that is too funny! its amazing what they pick up, isn't it?

tearese said...

yeah, I've read milk can cause stomach bleeding, but I think its if you're feeding it to them regularly. I always wondered why yogurt and milk-formula were okay though.