tracker

Sunday, November 11, 2007

R is for Red Hot


The Victim: Guy Smiley

The Offender: The Fireplace

So this morning as we were getting ready to go to church, I was in the kitchen packing the diaper bag, and my husband says to me, "Do you know what they are doing over there?" So I turn to go and see what the kids are up to, and I suddenly hear Guy wailing. I turn the corner round the couch and somehow I just knew, he had touched the fireplace. I ran to him, grabbed him, ran to the sink, and ran cold water on his hands. Thankfully they didn't even blister, and he is fine using them. But that fireplace was HOT! REALLY HOT!
So my question is, how do I keep it from happening again? The fireplace is right there, on floor level. I have to use it. Other than using the oven, it is the only way I have to heat the main living area of my apartment.
I have a similar problem in our bedrooms. We have box baseboard heaters. You know those rectangular metal boxes that stick out from the wall and get really hot when you use them, but you can't put anything closer than 3' from them?
This is our first winter in our apartment. We moved here in March and so I haven't crossed this bridge before, so let me know if you have any suggestions.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh no, I'm sorry! I've actually had the same thoughts with our fireplace.

The only thing I know about, and have considered, is a gate. But I haven't found one that's specifically for fireplaces. If you find something good, though, I'd love to hear about it!!

Rose said...

Here's what we do for wintertime in our place. We have the baseboard heaters in our children's room. We don't turn them on while the children are alone in there. Not only do we not want them to touch it... we also don't want them to accidentally have something flammable by the heater.

The only thing I can recommend for the fireplace is close supervision while the fireplace is being used! Or perhaps you can run the fireplace while the children are napping, so it's not a hazard. There are gates you can buy, but I cannot testify of their effectiveness, as I have never used one.

Usually in the winter... we just opt to bundle up in warmer clothing while we're around the house.

Glad your little boy is okay!

Shannon said...

I'm so glad "Guy" turned out to be ok!

By the way, I just tagged you, so go check out my blog for instructions...

Kirsten said...

what we did when living in Rexburg where we had baseboard heaters was to keep them off in the bedrooms. i'd turn them on about an hour or so before bed and leave them on until i went to bed (lydia was still in a crib then)and the rooms would usually stay warm enough throughout the night. hope this helps!