tracker

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Q is for Quiet

Yes sometimes I do get some quiet, even with two young children. It doesn't happen a lot, but I enjoy the noise. However, what I really mean by quiet, is that is what I am. At least when you don't really know me.
Something I have recently discovered is that I am (as I heard someone put it, only I think I reversed their saying), an extrovert trapped in an introverts body.
What does that mean you say? Well I love learning about people. I love hearing about people. Some of my favorite books that I have read are autobiographies. I like to read self help books, not because I think I need the help, but because I enjoy reading the true to life experiences the authors often include in the books. So what is the catch?
So what's the catch you ask? I have an incredibly hard time talking to people I don't know. I quite often will just sit there and either wait for someone to talk to me, or just listen to what others say and not add to the conversation.
It's not that I don't want to talk to people, I really do. I just don't know what to say, and so I don't say anything. I think I have this fear that if people get to know me they won't like me. Silly huh? How can someone really like me if I don't give them a chance to get to know me?
Have you ever known one of those people who seem so interested in you, they ask the right questions, and make even the things in your life, that you find boring and commonplace, seem interesting? I have a brother that is that way. He is so much fun to be around, and I really enjoy his company, and never worry about what he thinks about me. That is the kind of person I would like to be. I just need to get out of my introverted self and maybe figure out how to ask those kind of questions, and what questions to ask.

2 comments:

Rose said...

I don't think it's silly! I'm like that too! It's sometimes hard for me to talk to people that I don't know... I'm really shy in that way. It's even hard for me to talk to people that I DO know because I'm afraid they will think I'm weird or something! Funny though, I'm pretty outgoing online... ;)

Shannon said...

Maybe you should observe your brother, and try to formulate your questions kindof like he does his. That might work.