tracker

Monday, February 24, 2020

Goals for Self Development and Spiritual Growth

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Recently our church released a new initiative for the youth ages 8-18.  In this initiative the youth are being encouraged to set goals in areas of spiritual, social, physical and intellectual development.

I know I often feel overwhelmed by what I have on my plate, and I have been feeling I need to help my children embrace this, but haven't known where to start.  I have had the idea of making a place for each category where we can post ideas, goals, accomplishments etc.  I just haven't done anything. 

Last night our church hosted a Face to Face broadcast with President and Sister Oaks.  As we watched the broadcast I felt the Spirit prompt me once again that I should do this.  As I pondered on how to do this I was reminded of some vinyl letter stickers I have left over from a previous project I did.  I wasn't sure if I had enough of the right letters, however I was able to come up with all I needed to put the titles for the four different areas on our dinning room wall.  My next plan is to get some sheet metal, cut it down to size cover with fabric or decorative paper, and put it on the wall in each section.  Then I can make some cute magnets and we can put our ideas and such up on the wall.

Also lately, I have been reading the book "To Love, Honor, and Vacuum" by Sheila Wray Gregoire.  She is a Christian author who lives in Canada.  The hubs and I went to a marriage retreat last fall where she was one of the keynote speakers.  I enjoyed her speaking style so much, that the hubs though I would enjoy this book and got it for me for Christmas. 
Anyway the book is a book for moms/wives who feel like they are doing it all, and not getting the help and support they need in the home from their family members. 
In one chapter she talks about making a schedule to get things done, and how one thing that is really important is scheduling in time to take care of yourself before you schedule in the work that needs to be done.  She had 3 areas she encouraged her readers to plan 2 ways to meet needs in during each weeks plan.  Spiritual, social, and personal care.  I found it interesting how much those ideas lined up with the infinitive that my Church is encouraging the youth to take part in. 

I felt like one goal I should do for my Spiritual well being is to write in a journal each day.  Now I consider this blog a type of journal, so that is why I am writing this today.  I may at times write in a more private and personal journal, depending on what is in my heart those days.  But with this goal, you should be seeing more from me.  So if you enjoy reading my posts there will be more for you to read. 

I encourage all of you to think of ways you can set goals in your life to help you be a better person and come closer to the Savior.

No comments: