tracker

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Do you understand?

So lately Guy has been trying to communicate more and more. And most of the time he is successful. He is doing pretty good for his age. But there are still times that I don't understand what he is wanting or tying to say. And I wonder how much of that time it is my own fault.

For example, last night he woke me up in the middle of the night standing by my bed. I was tired and impatient and didn't really want to know why he was awake in the middle of the night and didn't really think about it too hard. I just handed him off to my husband, who then took him crying back to his bed, and shut the door so he would stay there. I didn't think anything more about the situation until this morning I noticed that one of his blankets was on the floor next to my bed. It appears he brought it in with him. I then started wondering why he was coming in in the middle of the night. Was he cold? Not feeling well? Just couldn't sleep? I don't know, and I won't ever know, and it is all because I didn't take the time to find out. At this point I felt bad. I need to try to do a better job to understand what he is needing.

The other time recently that I didn't understand his needs or wants was on Saturday. He was sitting on the kitchen floor. He only had one sock on, and his pants had come off and were on the floor beside him. His other sock had come off at meal time, and I had previously found it by the table and put it in the wash. Well he pulled at his one sock and was saying "sock" so I thought he wanted it off. I took it off, and then he held up his pants, and said "pants". I told him to take his pants to Daddy, and then proceeded to take his sock, and put it in the dirty clothes. Well he picked up his pants and started crying coming after me. I figured he was trying to say that he wanted Mom to put on his pants. So I put on his pants, and he continued crying and pointing at the laundry room door. I then realized that he had been telling me he wanted his other sock on. So we fished both socks out of the laundry and put them on and then he was happy.

2 comments:

Adam & Brandi said...

Aww, such a sweet little boy. I don't remember how old he is. Is he 18 months?

Julie said...

He is 21 months now.