tracker

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Learning From Mistakes

Do you ever have one of those moments when you did the best you could and then shortly after learned you did it totally wrong? 
That was my last post.  That post was made on a Thursday, and then that night the Hubs and I went to our TBRI class.  I don't remember exactly what all we learned in class that night, however there was a moment when I was able to tell about my day and ask for advice.
The advice I got from our instructor was something like, "I would spend time with her, connecting and trying to figure out her need.  Maybe she is making herself sick because she is stressed over something. You have to figure out the need.  And be very careful with consequences.  Consequences need to be natural and directly related to the offence.  For example, if you have a 10 year old child who is riding their bike around outside late at night and you have no idea where they are and they don't get home until after midnight, a natural consequence would be to lose the privilege of the bike for a time."

Here I had a child who was pushing my buttons.  She as frustrating me, so I went and locked myself in my room to get away from her.  How is that helping her be better?  Sure it is helping me to not "flip my lid"  but it doesn't help her learn.

I am sure children have these kind of moments all the time.  They are learning so much, and know so little.  They often make mistakes to have us or some other adult or older child come and tell them how they got it all wrong.  It was embarrassing and humiliating for me to learn how wrong I had handled that day.  So I need to imagine how my children feel when they make mistakes that they didn't know better, or are still learning the foundation behind them.

No comments: